Random Thoughts & Questions

No, because the alternative is we end up at Applebee’s

1 Like

That’s never happened to me, and I would never let it happen in a co-worker scenario.

So “foodie” truly is a pejorative for you. The problem here may be that it isn’t for everybody.

Not really, but I can see how one might see it that way. It wasn’t my intention to offend. My comment was directed at one who refers to themselves as a foodie but isn’t. I acknowledge that the criteria for that is highly subjective.

I’ve called myself a foodie, but not in scare quotes!

I wish barbacoa de borrego was more popular in LA. I generally go down to San Diego County to get my fix.

2 Likes

Which places do you like in SD?

Didn’t Aqui Es Texcoco open somewhere in LA?

1 Like

There is also Taquizas Gilberto in La Puente with the dynamite sticks with barbacoa.

Just had South Philly Barbacoa today. You can go all out and buy a few kg of barbacoa comes with homemade tortillas, all the fixings, and consommé. Watch the Chefs Table episode. The food is legit AF. Maybe I can convince her to come to LA. Highly recommend if you are ever out here.

It’s a very long process so maybe that’s why we don’t see too many in LA.

4 Likes

Is barbacoa de borrego different from “plain-old” barbacoa? I ask only b/c All Day Baby has a fantastic barbacoa burrito. Might be worth a try?

1 Like

I like Vamos A Texcoco in Vista, El Borrego in City Heights, and Aqui es Texcoco in Chula Vista.
Yeah, there’s an Aqui in City of Industry but it’s not as good as the Chula one, imo.

I’ve watched it and would love to go there someday! You’re lucky to have them.

Barbacoa de borrego is lamb and usually comes with consome, tortillas, onions, etc.

(Not my photo)

I still haven’t been to All Day Baby but just looked at the menu. That burrito is beef barbacoa but sounds very good. Thanks!

5 Likes

Borrego = sheep / lamb / mutton.

1 Like

Okay, totally not the same thing, but that sounds so much like the abgoosht at Attari Sandwich shop in Westwood… :wink:

(not my photo; from abgoosht – discovering LA)

2 Likes

Barbacoa traditionally is steamed in a pit, which is similar to braising, though contemporary versions may be smoked like barbecue or braised in pots on the stove. Abgoosht is braised, so similar to some barbacoa, and the service with flatbreads and sides is definitely similar.

2 Likes

In fact, as Mr. Adams points out, the chemical formula for sodium citrate even spells out ‘nacho’: Na₃C₆H₅O₇.

Gish Bac may be worth a try.

2 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

i feel like there must be at least 20 or 30 weekend popup family operations selling barbacoa in south LA or east LA, some of which are highlighted by Bill in that list.
i’ve only had barbacoa a couple of times in Mexico, but based on that very limited sampling, i would say what you can get at Barbacoa Estilo Taxco Guerrero or Barbacoa Estilo Atotonilco El Grande are entirely comparable in quality, and i would put the consommes from either place up against the best soups and consommes from anywhere and any price range in the entire city
a lot of these weekend operations are also really putting in the work to make it - the family running Atotonilco raises their own lambs!

10 Likes

Thanks everyone! I’m obviously not looking hard enough for barbacoa in LA.

1 Like

City of Commerce.

L.A. area has a City of Commerce and a City of Industry

2 Likes