Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

That whole fish - which I LOVE - does travel much better than anticipated.
It’s been maybe five years (so things may have changed) since I picked one up and brought it to the Westside.
So I probably did not taste it for about 45 minutes after pickup, and it was still pretty crispy and VERY tasty. IIRC, they put the fried fish and herbs in a styrofoam container with vents carved out to prevent steaming.

5 Likes

I was able to snag a 7p Shunji pickup for Sat. Anything else worthwhile nearby?

1 Like

It’s been around ten years, but there was one time when I ordered it delivery, and the guy literally came into the house and showed us how to best set things up. It was sublime. You don’t get that from Postmates.

2 Likes

You are already set for sushi, but if you want dessert, you could call ahead and order ice cream from Kiriko for dessert. When I have sushi at Kiriko, I love concluding my meal with their homemade ice cream, so I’m sure it would go just as well with the Shunji sushi.

1 Like

Raku, Dialogue, Pasjoli, Felix?

battera
gjusta

2 Likes

Get a 1/2+1/2 container of Ken-san’s homemade blood orange sorbet with his outstanding vanilla ice cream. Mix the two to your preferred proportions, and please report back!

2 Likes

Does Shunji sell their ice cream and sorbets? those were also fantastic.

1 Like

I missed this one, dammit. Which of you FTCers snagged them all??

3 Likes

Belle Vie’s pick up menu:

2 Likes

I love Belle Vie but that’s a sad looking menu.

2 Likes

Did Valle last night. Enjoyable. Standouts to me were the quesadilla and birria

Which restaurant is this?

We’ll see if this is just a first iteration. My understanding was that the owner was very reluctant to open at all, so I’ll take what I can get from them.

1 Like

Did Birdie G’s last night. Kind of a mixed bag. Portions were very small for the price, but the jerk chicken, chop salad, and corn bread were all tasty, and I quite liked our to go cocktails. However, their chocolate cake was completely dry and would be a very bad piece of cake from Ralphs, let alone from a restaurant priding itself on desserts.

2 Likes

Valle is a “pop-up” Oaxacan at (though might replace) MTN on Abbot Kinney. It is part of the Gjusta group from two of the chefs at MTN. I tried the tacos for lunch (2 for $9, 3 for $13–so not inexpensive) and liked the carne asada but thought the pollo adobado was too dry. Comes with paired salsa and a lime wedge but chips (good) are extra ($2.50) and do not come with their own salsa.

3 Likes

They opened in the MTN space on Abbot Kinney. LAT story here: https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2020-05-04/gjelina-mtn-chefs-oaxacan-pop-up-venice

1 Like

I don’t typically order breakfast delivery, but very early this morning I had Postmates bring a scrambled egg croissant sandwich from Chaumont. The eggs arrived perfectly warm - perhaps because it was so early that there was no traffic (I have been noticing a lot more traffic lately which was confirmed by an article this morning in the L.A. Times) and also because I am not far from Chaumont.

I would say it was one of my more successful quarantine deliveries, particularly because I rarely have the patience to scramble eggs perfectly (nice and fluffy) and the Chaumont eggs were scrambled perfectly.

4 Likes

I never got to try the famed Europane egg salad of yore, but Amandine has always been a decent local mainstay. Via Ubereats:

Amandine - Egg Salad Sandwich

Fluffy bread that really perked up at the edges in the toaster - nice and fluffy egg salad but nothing special. Pleasant salad and tart, salty gherkins for contrast.

2 Likes

In case anyone on the Westside is interested…you may want to double check first since the guy at the truck wasn’t 100% sure if they would be there through Tuesday. Shrimp tacos and ceviche only. The truck parks over by the driving range.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CABDVqZjI0G/

As a matter of fact the mom & pop whose name I don’t want to mention is a Thai spot. The meat & poultry were chewy and/or dried out, and what you order is sometimes replaced or prepared differently. But you’re right, the noodles and sauce were great even the next day. Not sure if we’ll order from them again but they said they’re really busy now, so that’s good.