Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

I’m not a huge fan of Petit Trois’ omelet, but I had emergency dental work yesterday and wanted something soft, so I ordered it. I’m still not a huge fan (the flavor profile is just not for me - maybe it’s the boursin cheese), but I have to say that the normal problem with ordering omelets for delivery where the omelets arrive overcooked and rubbery was not an issue. Even though I don’t love the flavor profile of their omelets, I didn’t think there was much degradation from delivery other than it wasn’t piping hot (but it was still warm).

I quite enjoyed the chocolate chip cookie that I also ordered (and chewed on the other side of the mouth from the dental work). One of the better chocolate chip cookies in L.A.

They have a lot of merchandise for sale, which seems like a nice way for a little extra revenue for the restaurant. Next time I may order one of their snail logo masks. Until I got my delivery bag with the snail logo on it I didn’t realize how charming their logo was.

8 Likes

de Porres Delivery

This is a little late. It’s been quite a distracting couple of months. :astonished: But I wanted to give props to Danielle & Pablo of de Porres for making our solo (well duo) Christmas weekend at home special and delicious.

Chicken Liver Mousse w/Brandied Cherries, Pimento Cheese, Beet Cured Salmon, Spicy Pickled Green Tomatoes, Cornichons & Toast Points (made by me)

This is only a portion of each serving… there was enough for a weekend of brunches, snacks and more. :hearts:

Chicken Liver Mousse & Brandied Cherries

Hubs loved the Pimento Cheese but I’m a nut for anything Chicken Liver. :hearts:

Blinis & Horseradish Crème Fraîche

These came par-baked and I should’ve done a little more than just reheat them but they were very good.

Canapé anyone?

Danielle’s Famous Biscuits

Layers of fluffy, buttery, flaky, goodness.

Spicy Collard & Turnip Greens w/Peads & Barnett Pork

I added a bit more vinegar to these delicious, spicy greens.

I also baked a Ham and made Potato Salad, but I’ll keep the focus on the catered foods. :wink:

There was wine…

An indicative blend of syrah, grenache & mourvèdre that didn’t really compliment anything other than the Chicken Liver Mousse & Brandied Cherries :hearts: but it was a gift from a neighbor who always selects interesting wines and we felt like opening it, so.

Nesselrode Bula Ice Cream - Chestnut Rum Base w/Pecans, Bourbon Soaked Raisins, Dried Pineapple, and Amarena Cherries

It’s like fruitcake in ice cream form. I wasn’t sure we’d like it but we did :hearts: and it was the bomb melting on top of this…

Sticky Toffee Pudding

This holiday weekend was a relaxing, comforting & delicious end to the year.

Bon F-ing Voyage 2020!

15 Likes

Hmmm… I need to put Petit Trois on the rotation. I wonder how well those yummy snails travel. :thinking: I love them with their baguette… my favorite baguette.

3 Likes

Reason enough, and a good one to boot! Everything looks great!

1 Like

Thanks!

I LOVE the (new-ish) Sawtelle Tempura House. It’s like the best home cooking from a Japanese grandma (or grandpa, in this case)…

4 Likes

Within it lives the spirit of the old Sawtelle neighborhood. Missing the old As-Am eateries which are no longer there: Sawtelle Kitchen, Restaurant 2117, Place Yuu, Relaxtation, while hoping for classics like Kiriko, Hide Sushi, FuRaiBo, and NanBanKan to hang in there…

10 Likes

SLOWLY, of course

13 Likes

Great list. The chef at Tempura House is the same one from Sawtelle Kitchen, I think (maybe someone else has already mentioned on this?).

I’d also add Shiro. I only went once, but I have very fond memories b/c it was one of the first “fancy” places I went to when I finished grad training, and I consider it the start of my food explorations. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And the fantastic 2nd floor izakaya that was in Olympic Collection…name?

1 Like

Morinoya

3 Likes

Morinoya was the pared-down sequel restaurant to the already-mentioned legendary izakaya Place Yuu (located in the space Seoul Tofu currently occupies). It was my #1 go-to fin de siècle restaurant in L.A.

2 Likes

I knew I could count on someone… I mean you. :grin:

I tried a new pop up–L’Aegean–out of Melody tonight and started to get some good Mh Zh vibes.

It’s a tight menu made up mostly of meze, from hummus and tzatziki to htipiti and dolmades, with the sole main being lamb kebab and baklaval on tap for dessert.

I mention Mh Zh mainly because of the hummus, which came topped with browned butter and a side of Bub and Grandma’s bread. While it didn’t have the pickled raisins that made their hummus really pop, I quite enjoyed it.

Htipiti isn’t a dish I’m very familiar with, but the chunks of red pepper, creamy feta, and briny olives was a bit addicting.

The lamb kebab was nicely cooked, and came placed on top of tabouleh and lavash spread with tahini. Add on the grilled tomato and onion to cut through some of the richness and this was a well executed and satisfying dish.

The baklava wasn’t overpoweringly sweet or sticky–the perfect bite to end the meal.

The pop up still seems young, but it’s off to a promising start. I’m going to keep my eye out for future opportunities.

13 Likes

Since the numbers remain quite bad in LA (even if they are markedly better than they were earlier in the month), I suspect the CRA is setting up LA-area members for disappointment w/ that letter (that fundamentally misrepresents my own understanding of what may happen tomorrow, but I have no inside knowledge). But we shall see.

4 Likes

Man that looks good!

They’re back this weekend with a different menu! I already committed to trying GRC’s kebab on Saturday, but seeing brussels sprouts on the menu makes me consider a bang bang…

1 Like

tempura endo

9 Likes

Well… looks like back to business as usual in L.A. :crossed_fingers:t4: