Rossoblu DTLA

“They have very nice plates.” - LOL!

Dinner at Rossoblu a few weeks ago was very disappointing, especially the porkchop (served undercooked and cold, lacking flavor, far cry from Sotto fennel crusted porkchop).

3 Likes

We’ve eaten at Rossoblu probably 20 times now. It is what it is. The menu changes infrequently. There are some dishes I like quite a lot — valbruna eggplant, brick chicken, and (relatively new) tuna tartare with crackers. The risotto is usually good.

But the food is never impressive. I like it more than Peony, because I love basic Italian food. I’m happy eating spaghetti aglio e olio with no frills. Peony is not impressed by that kind of thing. After every meal at Rossoblu I tell Peony we are just spoiled because the quality level is generally good. My biggest complaint is the menu rarely changes; I’m happy with the food itself.

1 Like

20 times is a lot for a place you are lukewarm on.

5 Likes

We live a mile away.

1 Like

I hear you, though I used to live in South Park for over ten years and doubt I went to any single sit down restaurant over 20 times. I guess for something like aglio e olio I’d rather cook at home in 15 minutes than deal with a place I found mediocre.

1 Like

I think Rossoblu is good, not mediocre.

They use farmers-market produce, butcher their own meats, make their own salumi and pasta, and have a big wood grill. If you don’t like a place like that because the menu doesn’t change except seasonally, maybe you just don’t much care for traditional Italian food.

There’s nothing wrong with creativity and invention (within reason), but there’s a lot to be said for a restaurant where you know you can get a table and that the dish you have a craving for will be on the menu and as good as always.

2 Likes

Their new dish of green beans with a roasted pepper sauce is very good.

Their beet risotto is better than I remembered – tastes “right.”

Their grilled trout with cannelini bean puree has become a go-to delivery favorite for us.

Unsung Rossoblu is my favorite Italian in DTLA. Great delivery tonight! Best dishes: chicken under a brick, ribeye, grilled fish, Valbruna’s eggplant, heirloom beans, the new broccolini dish.

2 Likes