Santa Monica random updates

Margo’s is mediocre.

Sogno Toscano was very charming and I quite enjoyed the food. Had a sit down lunch the other day. Got the Bufalina focaccia sandwich - total winner - some of the best tomatoes i’ve ever had on a sandwich, and the prosciutto was top notch. The butternut squash pear soup was also pretty good.

They plan to serve pinsa but are still waiting on the oven which is backordered from Italy.

3 Likes

Overflow from Bardonna?

Montana is busy day and night. It’s ideal for lunch, but every coffee shop has an overflow (the La La Land shop has a line around the corner every day, all day) in the morning. Go Get Em Tiger and Salt’s Cure are only open until 1 or 2pm.

And no way can you get a seat at Brother’s Sushi.

At night, good luck getting into R+D Kitchen or any restaurant within walking distance to the Aero.

Mainly an article about non-food related things, but there was this interesting tidbit: “… including the forthcoming restaurant HQ Gastropub, which she said plans to have a speakeasy in the basement, outdoor dining on the ground floor, and a rooftop bar and lounge.”

3 Likes

Has anyone tries the Ethiopian place near 5th (Berbere by T&T Lifestyle)?

1 Like

First I’ve heard of it but definitely down to check it out, thanks for posting about it

1 Like

Here’s a new West LA high-end meat market that caught my eye recently- will check out soon!

4 Likes

Make sure to check the hrs b/c, for instance, they don’t open at all on Sat (!). Or was it Fri dinner? You know what I mean…

2 Likes

They’re in the old Omaha Steaks space adjacent to BBQs Galore in West LA. The Tasmanian Wagyu is good!

Jin Cooks is opening in the cursed location next to La Scala and Habit Burger on Wilshire.

2 Likes

Any info on it?

I don’t, but others here do:

Seems pretty promising. I hope the Santa Monica location is as good as the other ones and, if so, that this place can escape the curse of the other 3–4 eateries that have been there…

1 Like

I love Jin Cook – bf is a big fan of the katsu curry and we like getting the galbijjim if it’s more than the 2 of us. We were considering going to the Buena Park location if not for a half hour wait. I hope it is successful in SM. I’ll definitely be visiting! Hope to hear more news about the opening soon.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine what these pastries are going to cost, but I’m looking forward to trying them. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

it is pretty exciting news. She’s had her cooking school at the Santa Monica Place for years and has been a fixture of the farmers markets as well as working with culinary students from LATTC after they visit the market. I like to see good people do well.

3 Likes

Thought the first location in Glendale was vile. Was surprised when they opened up in BP. Drove by the SM location the other day and now I’m convinced they must have improved vastly in order to be doing so well. Still, the westside is such a dead zone for Korean so maybe…

Me too, although I’m sad about the demise of Broadway Baker.

Speaking of laminated pastries and Santa Monica, Jyan Isaac is experimenting with them. Got a pain au chocolat at the Venice farmers market last week. It was fantastic and I think $7.

1 Like

Saw a for lease sign on the Dagwoods building. Not exactly a FTC place but definitely a SaMo institution.

2 Likes

What was it like? We’ve passed it countless times, but we’ve never been.

Yeah, they announced in November that they were going to close by year’s end. Their glitter pizza was fun for the kids and they had a great happy hour.