Hello. I have a Basque cheesecake recipe that works well in a springform that’s 9" across and 3" deep. I want to make a smaller one (springform that’s 6" x 3").
This may be a really silly question, but can I just scale down the recipe proportionally based on the difference in volume btw a 9" diameter and the 3" 6" diameter cylinder?
Any other adjustments I need to make (I assume it will take less time to bake to the desired level of jiggly-ness)?
You could use 4/10 the amounts but who knows how long it would bake or if the temperature would need to be lower. You might be better off using a recioe that calls for a 6-inch pan.
Whoops, meant difference in 9" x 6" diameter (not 3", that’s the height).
I had done an internet search and quickly skimmed some of the results (which were essentially the same as what your search had found). One recipe actually called for using a higher temp (I guess reasoning that that would lead to more top caramelization w/o overcooking the interior)!
I’ll probably just make 40–50% of the original recipe and maybe turn up the temp a smidge. Thankfully, friend is not picky and will be very appreciative of anything that’s homemade and decent-tasting.
I do that frequently with regular cake recipes and it usually works (with some guesswork for things like 1 and 2/3 eggs). Haven’t tried it with a cheesecake recipe.
One pic for scale (the scale is still off b/c I didn’t feel like putting my hand right up against the hot tin, and I forgot to take another pic later):
I made 50% of the recipe (I was motivated to scale down b/c the full recipe doesn’t fit in my stand mixer bowl comfortably, and I felt like using the stand mixer). For the egg, I basically used a “weighted average” to determine the wt for 1.5 eggs.
I baked at 425 deg (vs. usual 400). I think I baked for ~40 mins (after 30 mins, I kept checking the wobble freq and can’t recall how much time had elapsed).
Taste was as usual (fantastic). Texture was a bit more mixed. The center third was great, the third beyond that was good, and the outer third was a bit more set (and thus dense) than I would’ve liked.
Still, unless I’m baking for a large party, this smaller size is WAY more “useable,” for lack of a better world.