September 2016 Weekend Rundown

Awesome!!!

Whaaaaat?!?! How long was the line? :smile:

5 Likes

This s is my favorite picture. you took fried chicken on a camping trip? It looks like a fried chicken ice cream cone.

4 Likes

LODGE BREAD

It pays to be the first customer of the day… Look at this behemoth! And he saw that it was gooooood.

Cinnamon Roll/Brick

quarter slice

Avocado Toast

11918 Washington Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(424) 384-5097

8 Likes

I’m at Gjusta right now debating whether to grab bread here, or go to Lodge for one. How’s the bread look char-wise today?

I was debating between these two this morn as well! I’m afraid I’ve failed you on the bread front… because I wasn’t getting a loaf, I didn’t inspect today’s selection closely.

That’s ok. The sin roll looks great.

After one of those weeks - the kind where dinner every night consisted of peanut butter on “stuff” (occasionally just on a spoon) for me and whatever he could find in the freezer for him, I broke down Friday night and decreed we would eat something else.

So we ordered from Sahara in Pasadena.

Two dozen falafel on a bed of torn lettuce, diced tomatoes, and parsley, with large tub of tahini in the middle.

Double order of hummus. (Their’s is a bit too lemony/tart for my preference.)

Triple order of babaganoush (very good, but I like it a bit smokier).

Not pictured but also ordered: cabbage salad and tabouli, and it came with store-bought pita. Enough for a total of four meals, plus snacks, for about $60. I was pleased. Then again, I was tired and tired of peanut butter, pretty much anything would have hit the spot. Dessert was a shared pint of some over-the-top Ben & Jerry’s which made no impression other then being cold and sugary.

7 Likes

Hi @ElsieDee -

I’m the spoonful of P.B. as a meal type myself. So happy when the health food stores figured out how to make it as creamy as Jif.

You had one of my favorite meals this weekend. Looks great. How did the falafel hold up the next day? Over-the-top, sugary & cold is normally how I describe Ben & Jerry’s too.

Nice!

Biergarten on Western in Ktown - before seeing Peter Hook & the Light w/Moby at the Wiltern, Saturday.

Sierra Nevada Otra Vez

This was under the “Tart & Sour” section of the beer list and had prickly cactus & grapefruit in it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Avery Ellie Brown Ale

They liked this one better. I had a shot of Corralejo Reposado… meh.

Garlic Soy Edamame

These weren’t bad, just not worth the work. I miss Luxe Café’s (Bev Ctr) Garlic Soy Edamame - yes, you read it, Luxe Café.

Panko Fried Mushrooms - organic miatake shrooms, panko & herb aioli

I love the miatakes “hen of the woods”. These bites were perfectly crispy, w/a meaty texture from the shrooms. They were a little under-salted, but the herb aioli was a very tasty dip.These are a great bar snack for vegetarians or anyone.

Fried Chicken Wings w/sticky, sweet, garlic,soy sauce & ranch dressing

We loved these.

Korean Fried Chicken (beer brined, Mary’s free-range chicken) w/cabbage slaw, housemade dressing, pickled daikon

The slaw w/dressing and pickled daikon was really good. The chicken was more broasted than fried. As with broasting, it can come out dry… It did.

Cheese, Mushroom & Roasted Tomato Quesadilla (Consumed but not shown).
___
We almost went to Beer Belly. It’s supposed to be really good, and they offer Happy Hour on weekends. Next time. Biergarten is a good pre-show / sports bar. Lots of televisions and seating. Huge alcohol & beer list. $90+tip.

Peter Hook & the Light sounded great. At first I was disappointed Perry Farrell - who had joined them previously - didn’t appear. But Moby thrilled everyone singing Joy Division’s “Transmission” and “Ceremony”. He did it in a surprisingly hard, haunting, badass way.

Internet photo

Next Morning - Tostadas w/chili, cheese & sunny side up “organic hen eggs”

Just happened to have the ingredients for this dish in my fridge. I wrote Luddite twice… now three times. So as promised… Here are my “organic hen eggs”, straight from T.J.'s

Good weekend!

11 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice weekend! :slight_smile: That must’ve been sweet to see Moby do Joy Division’s “Transmission”… it sounds like a crazy match and makes sense in many ways. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Friday - Osteria Mozza
It has been a while. Food was so great. Sat in the East side of the room, much quieter than the area between the Mozzerella bar and the Booze bar.
Standouts - Burrata from Puglia (flown in weekly, arrives Thursday for the weekend) with garlic bread, so rich and creamy; Rabbit with rabbit sausage entree, Ricotta and Egg Raviolo

Saturday Lunch - Platinum Chirashi bowl Tsujita - amazing. Loved the rice mixed with tiny diced cucumber and octopus. I ate one of the 4 large marinated shrimp before snapping this shot.

Saturday Dinner - Taco Maria.
Finally made it. Wonderful meal.- everything great - Aguachile especially yummy and Strugeon Taco and the Braised Bacon.
Menu

Aguachile

Braised Bacon

Sturgeon Taco

Sunday - Here’s Looking at You
They were out or not serving the Whole Duck and the “whale” softshell crab, both of which we really wanted to try. But the dishes we had were pretty good. bar program excellent. Will go back to try more.

11 Likes

Dammit! Unfortunately, due to a schedule snafu, I had to sell my tix for Hooky & the lads. Sounds like it was a good show.

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Based on the music Moby’s popular for, I didn’t know what to expect. But he was so different. I looked him up later. Now I’m not surprised. He’s produced and written for everyone from Michael Jackson to Guns & Roses to Public Enemy. I always admired the guy as a human. But he made me a fan Saturday night.

Thanks!

1 Like

I won’t rub it in @J_L. So I’ll just say the sound at the Wiltern is pretty darn good :wink:. The crowd was fun too - millennials mixing with punk rock grandparents. I thought I was gonna’ see 16 yr old Molly Ringwald walk by.

Since our patient millennials put up with and enjoyed the show, we somehow got roped into seeing Chvrches at Hollywood Forever next week :unamused:… TBC.

1 Like

Er, about as well as you’d imagine grinning.

I’m not a falafel purist: I like them best straight from the fryer, with the very crispy crust and all…left over, I tend to eat them cold and slathered in the babaganoush. Flavor is still there so it’s more a different texture thing - not at all unpleasant, to me. My SO insists on reheating his falafel (wrapped in a damp paper towel in the microwave). I’m thinking doing that and then possibly recrisping in the oven might be possible, but:

A. That seems like far too much bother for leftovers
and
B. I think they’d get dried out.

You know how leftover pizza isn’t the same as fresh? Almost a completely different experience and pleasurable in its own way? The same is true with falafel. Or so I tell myself :wink:

2 Likes

You and I are a lot alike.

1 Like

#71 above
Everything was surprisingly tasty. Highlights were the uni, octopus, scallops, and pork.

oyster, uni, caviar, tarragon, champagne #uniintheskywithdiamonds

farm egg, crispy potato, chorizo, finger lime, cilantro

foie gras terrine, beets, pistachio, tonka bean, rustic bread

grilled octopus, peach, lemon, mustard

:pig: loin :pig: belly :pig: croquette

scallops, carrot, vadouvan curry, coconut, barrel-aged fish sauce

caramel custard, truffle praline almonds, coconut sorbet, pork and maple powder

9 Likes

Wonderful !

1 Like

nice photos! I really like the blue skyline behind as well!! :+1:

2 Likes