September 2023 Rundown

Bone Kettle (Pasadena)

Met some friends here for dinner…so sorry, no photos.

I did not love the bone marrow here. It was not seasoned enough while it was topped with a minced ginger and scallion oil.

Oxtail dumplings were fun. The sauce/soup was really flavorful.

Garlic prawns are their tribute to LoS. Crispy shells still attached to the meat…but way too coated with potato starch or whatever starch they use. Crispy like a potato chip and tastes good, but the heavy coating of starch is a touch off putting. I’m likely biased because I’ve had LoS in Vegas.

Their coconut lychee panna cotta was stiff as a board, so while it might taste good, the texture was all off.

The food comes at you fast and furious…or maybe it was because our reservation was earlier in the evening and it was less busy. We had so many dishes on the table that it felt like we were running out of room.

Service might have been a touch too attentive since they kept asking us if we wanted to order more.

Ladies & Gentlemen (Pasadena)

Off to a speakeasy a block and a half away.

The vibe was chill and the music is toned-down EDM so folks can chat while they enjoy a cocktail tasting menu. It’s $75 for 3 drinks that you select off the menu. It can be shared with another person.

Not gonna lie, the cocktails are a touch on the strong side. They are definitely trying to hit the IG/TikTok influence crowd based on the way they present drinks.

There are snacks and mocktails, too.

We just appreciated a relaxed place for a nightcap.

6 Likes

Was @fattydumplin wondering about this place a few wks ago?

Got Bludso’s SM this evening. When I had it opening week I actually thought it was just ok, but tonight it was back up to the usual high standards.

6 Likes

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am in you :scream::rofl:

7 Likes

Seriously this has to be the best pad see ew in the whole damn country. Only at the Silom market location for some reason the Smorgasburg location doesn’t hit. The ambiance is better too but the parking is such a pain in the ass.

10 Likes

News in Thailand Plaza (Ruen Pair, Bhan Kanom Thai).

Pa Ord is closed and the space was bought out by Bhan Kanom Thai. It is now called Thai Central Cuisine. They have takeout rice and curry (khao gaeng) as well as central dishes . Come early for the rice and curry.

8 Likes

ooooooohhhhhh— sounds really good! thanks for the tip! Although, I DO like Reun Pair (but haven’t been in forever)

2 Likes

Available until sold out. I kinda like that

4 Likes

KATZ and Bonnie’s from NYC. Swan Oyster Depot from SF. Part of the charm is sitting on that counter at Swan Oyster. Also Kato, Villa’s, Holbox, wow. These food festivals are generally a disappointment right? Fun, yes.

7 Likes

I spotted Sergio there the last time I went for takeout. Good quality control. I am liking this SM location very much.

3 Likes

Tried Thai Central Cuisine tonight for the pad kra pao. Kind of a dud - too sweet, egg was fried over hard, rice was a wet clump, but most crucially, there were maybe 3 small leaves of holy basil in the whole thing. The search continues for good pad kra pao in Thai Town!

2 Likes

Ganda reincarnated.

Loved that place, will have to check this out.

@caleb have you tried radna silom or holy basil?

1 Like

Those 2 are probably the best in LA.

For takeout I think LAX-C is just fine.

Is there a Wat Thai vendor doing pad krapow?

1 Like

Because I’m a masochist lol

9 Likes

Needs more onions :slight_smile:

And I guess your car is grey :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yah more whole grilled onions woulda been better!

It’s silver lol!

You can get whole, whole grilled, and grilled (chopped). I have done all 3 in a double double. Also chopped chiles is the move!

6 Likes

Yeah Radna is the best by leaps and bounds so far. Holy Basil doesn’t quite hit it for me, but to be fair have only had it as takeout.

2 Likes

Wow thats actually a great idea!

2 Likes

Radna does such a good krapow. Holy Basil is good but I thought it needed a little bit more fish sauce and oyster sauce. A little restrained at times.

Do you make this dish at home? I am kinda obsessed with it lol I should start my own krapow stand

Have you guy have the boat noodle stand next to Radna? I didn’t have cash with me that night but I wanted to try it.

5 Likes