SF Bay Area miscellaneous reports

Tarts de Feybesse had been on my list to try for a while. Finally was reminded to order by catching up with Top Chef season 19.

Beef Bourgignon ($36), delicious, plenty for two, had leftovers. I’ve made this but mine’s not as good.

Pommes aligot ($16), enough for four. Properly stretchy.

Also tried a croque monsieur ($16), excellent but I could make that myself, and a loaf of levain ($10), good but I prefer Acme’s.

Would have tried a pastry but the portions are all quite large. Maybe I’ll get one for a party sometime. Some items are available through Locale.

Huh, they’ve expanded into the savories?

I ordered some baked goods from them a few months ago:

• mixed eclairs
  • chausson aux pommes
  • brioche

The eclairs were decent, the apple turnovers so-so, and the brioche excellent. Overall did not really seem to justify the hype or price tag, but might give it a second chance in-person for the savories if there’s ever a convenient opportunity.

Sazón in Santa Rosa. I hadn’t had Peruvian food in ages.

Papa a la Huancaína: great version. I love that aji amarillo sauce.

Anticuchos de Corazõn: ditto. Excellent marinade, nicely prepped and grilled.

Tiraditos: good though a step or two down from what I used to get at Mochica.

Lomo saltado was good though I’ve had better.

https://sazonsr.com

Went to the Goose & Fern in Santa Rosa kind of randomly as they’re open late. Nice selection of beers, mostly British styles and 5% or under. The Old Man was delicious.

I didn’t know what “toastie” means in British, so was surprised to get a whole grilled cheese sandwiich with my oxtail soup. Both very good.

Didn’t really need a whole order of shepherd’s pie after that, but it was so good I ate it all anyway.

Half of the fish & chips with scraps of the breading from the first half. Solid version.

Neglected to photograph the sticky toffee pudding, also a solid version.

https://thegooseandfern.com/

Tigon in El Cerrito. Cute place.

Sugarcane shrimp spring rolls. Nice. Lots of veg.

It was on my list of places to try because someone told me the bánh xèo were good. Got the house special with chicken, shrimp, calamari, and egg. Didn’t notice the menu said we could have replaced the chicken with pork, oh well. The batter wasn’t as coconutty as I’d hoped, but otherwise it was very good. Herbs were almost all mint.

had no idea, but Angler is now open for lunch??! with a seemingly reasonable $38 3course option and a decent but pared down more basic menu…

2 Likes

Pop-up at Punchdown Oakland yesterday.

The potatoes were fantastic.

Half Hitch is regularly in Tomales two evenings a week.

Opening up this Thursday!

1 Like

the sisig bolillo at Ok’s Deli (in Oakland) is extremely extremely good. the hype is fully justified. the bread has great chew, very faint touch of crisp on the exterior hint at high-quality ny-style pizza crust type of experience. the sisig is outstanding with a great touch of stickiness from all the collagen. and the sandwich is quite substantial, close to a foot long, well-packed with maybe like 4-5 normal-sized cabeza tacos worth of pig’s head - i would say it is actually very good value at $16. the sandwich could potentially use some more of the thai chilis and a couple extra lime wedges…
it looks a lot smaller than it is in their IG pictures:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CyKfWGELHnS/?img_index=1

the other sandwiches at ok’s are also very good, but not quite in the same league.

Bowl’d BBQ on Telegraph has been remodeled and turned into a branch of Hanshin Pocha, a Korean chain. No change of ownership.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/restaurants/article/hanshin-pocha-oakland-17906263.php

Interesting drinks list.

This was really good, tasted nothing like regular soju. It’s reportedly made from cane spirits, maesil (ume), and honey (though it’s not noticeably sweet). Very fruity. My wife doesn’t like soju but she liked this a lot.

The Dokkaebier rice kolsch was good. Reminded me of Beerlao.

Kimchi fried rice was very good.

Whole fried chicken was a bit dry but tasty. Came with daikon pickles and cabbage with mayo and gochujang. I prefer Dan Sung Sa’s version.

Seafood pancake was pretty good, just enough batter to hold it together. I maybe prefer Seoul Gomtang’s version.

I’ll probably go back to try more stuff though I wouldn’t order the whole chicken again.

Went to Dumpling Home on Gough yesterday. I wouldn’t usually think of getting dim sum in Hayes Valley but we were going to The Taste of Things a few blocks away. Surprisingly easy parking around the corner on Fell (free on Sunday).

There were maybe a dozen parties still in line when we got there a little after opening time at 11:30 but it took only around ten minutes to get seated at one of the sidewalk tables. Inside would have been a longer wait. Kind of surprised that not one street person walked through during our meal.

Green onion pancake was excellent, one of the best I’ve had.

Pan-fried juicy pork bao (house specialty) were delicious but be careful while eating them, they can squirt a long way.

Steamed pork bao had a juicy meatball filling, way more to my taste than the usual sweet stuff (which I don’t eat). Still not a fan of the steamed bread.

Smashed cucumber was good and a nice foil to the rich dishes. Not spicy like I usually see.

Dan dan noodles, only miss of the meal. There was red oil on the bottom but after I stirred it up, despite being flagged as spicy on the menu, it was not. Instead it was bland and a bit sweet. The pork didn’t stick to the noodles, which were a bit mushy.

Boiled napa cabbage and pork dumplings: I think these are the same kind of dumplings Great China makes though with a different filling. Good though Great China’s are better. Ate three of them before I remembered to take a photo.

Pork XLB were very good: thin skins, held together, did not stick to the paper, lots of broth, good flavor.

Pan-fried dried shrimp, egg, & chive pockets: nice strong bitter chive flavor, didn’t taste dried shrimp but good anyway.

Excellent dim sum with Shanghai and northern twists. Given the location, I was surprised at the high quality.

Went to Bowl’d on Solano for the first time in five years. We’d mostly switched to the one on Telegraph that’s now Hanshin Pocha. Menu has a few new things and they dropped a few items but is pretty much the same. Always takes me a while to choose as there are too many dishes I like.

Small selection of banchan. The kimchi and spicy toful were particularly good.

Neglected to photograph the fried mandu. They translate as “potstickers” on the menu so I was thinking they’d be pan-fried on only one side but they were deep-fried. I prefer them steamed.

Spicy pork was very good. Nice steamed cabbage wraps.

Odd bowl for bibimbap. Good as always.

“Wet” carnitas burrito at Comal Next Door on Grand. Excellent balance of meat, rice, and beans, which had a particularly nice texture.

I miss the ones I used to get at the long-gone Antojitos Mexicanos on Mission St. in SF. Nobody makes the black-peppery salsa they did.

Had a quick trip up to the bay for the following meals…

1. State Bird Provisions
    I’d been every time I come up to the area and thought it still slapped. Being able to do half orders of pancakes and some of the entrees was a trick I didn’t know that allowed my party of 2 to try more. Desserts were excellent.

2. Harbor House In - Best meal I’ve had in the US in a long, long time. Stayed overnight which really added to the experience (love when I can stumble into bed after a pairing). Service was a particular highlight here, not stuffy, extremely attentive and friendly.

3.LihoLiho Yacht Club - Holy shit we sat next to the worst people I’ve ever had the misfortune of being near at a restaurant but overall a great dinner the 85$ tasting was a great option for 2. Only miss was the dessert, the baked Hawaii was so sweet and grainy.

1. Birdsong - Lovely. Fun to have such similar ingredients as harbor house treated in a different way. Wish there were more vegetables or expressions of spring. Great pairings here, would’ve loved one more dessert that wasn’t ice cream ish based.

2. San Ho Wan - We ordered too much, but was delicious. The banchan was a particular highlight for me. And the baby onion/shrimp pancakes and the mackerel.

Others: Swan Oyster, still fun! Loquat - Delicious boreka breakfast, babka was excellent. Neighbor Bakehouse - Other than a very dry pistachio crossaint the rest was great. Breadbelly - Bangers other than the drinks.

4 Likes

Really nice. Did you have to book way ahead?

We booked the room quite a while ago which gets you a direct line to the restaurant rez. I don’t think I would go to the restaurant without staying overnight! it was such a lovely experience

1 Like

Hing Lung Co will be moving to Hyde x Post. Will open up towards the end of June. I love the energy of Stockton. Sounds like they have a terrible landlord.

Hing Lung Bernal Heights set to open towards the end of the month

1 Like

maximum quality charsiu/duck/roast pork now significantly easier logistically

2 Likes

And you can follow up with a lambwich and finish with some sweets from Black Jet Bakery

2 Likes

Best HK bbq bang bang!!!

1 Like