Slowdown in restaurant business? in LA? or all over?

Higher labor costs = higher menu prices = less demand for dining out

2 Likes

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Restaurant surcharges & service charges: threat or menace?

Inflation, LA rent prices affecting cost of business, the ridiculous tipping inflation/creative service fees. Expecting 40% service charge combined w/ tips (thanks Jon and Vinny). And dining never recovered from shelter in place. I feel it in the bay area too. Restaurants keeping shorter hours. A collapse feels imminent.

3 Likes

don’t think anyone is actually doing this en mas?

I never tip on top of service charges, I still don’t understand the confusion. Every other country in the world has figured out service charges in lieu of tips except for us apparently

Also most of the restaurants I’ve gone to with service charges always tell me they don’t expect a tip. Off the top of my head, Hayato, Yangs (party of 6+), Kato

3 Likes

+1 I’ve gotten into arguments with people on this forum about the same thing. It’s making it clear it is NOT a tip (for legal reasons) but there has never been any pressure or expectation to tip on top of that sum.

2 Likes

100%. At higher end tipped restaurants, servers can make 2 to 3 times as much as cooks.

Tip = 100% must go to servers legally
Service charge = can be distributed to BOH

Whether 100% of service charge goes to FOH + BOH is a different topic altogether.

2 Likes

Exactly. They are not putting “it’s not a tip” because they want you to tip more.

If a waiter pressures you to tip more that’s their problem. But I’m always told “no need to tip” at most respectable establishments

3 Likes

you mean they’re NOT putting “it’s not a tip” because they want you to tip more? I think we’re saying the same thing

1 Like

oops edited it.

with the czar of caviar @Clayfu

9 Likes
7 Likes