South Bay Staples

Chori man is way too far away but I gotta grab one of theirs soon

Mariscos El Bigoton truck in Wilmington

Tacos dorados de camarón:

Pastelaso el Guero (cooked shrimp, shrimp aguachile, shrimp ceviche, fried head-on shrimp, octopus, callo de hacha, tomato, cucumber, red onion, avocado, salsa negra):

Zam Zam Market in Hawthorne

Lamb biriyani:

Offset Coffee Company in Torrance

Lox toast (Nova lox, cream cheese, cherry tomatoes, red onion, microgreens, salt & pepper):

Inaba in Torrance

Tamagoyaki:

Buta kakuni:

Tempura bowl:

Katsudon:

Saffron Food Mart in Torrance

Beef koobideh plate:

The Good Life Cafe in Lomita
New fav. Great food, great people. Ask for some scotch bonnet pepper sauce with your food. Tuesday night is karaoke night which we happened upon. So fun!

Jamaican beef patties:

Jerk chicken with rice & peas:

Curry goat with rice & peas:

Utsav Indian Restaurant in Torrance

Plain naan, potato naan, garlic naan:

Shrimp chilli fry:

Chicken xacuti:

20 Likes

I really enjoy Mariscos El Bigaton, too!
That salsa negra on fresh seafood is so delicious.

1 Like

Yuuup! I forgot to ask for extra this time.

1 Like

Pitburger Teri burger it’s confusing because I’m used to having Teri burgers that come with a burger. This one just had beef slices, nevertheless it was delicious and will be returning and adding a burger patty next time.

5 Likes

Some weekend local eats kagura and fatto a mano.

Also I found out that the Whole Foods at pch and Crenshaw has bacon bar but they don’t regularly refill it so u gotta go early if you wanna score

3 Likes

Really?? This is by my house and I’ve asked them before and they didn’t even know what I was talking about. Thanks for the intel!

2 Likes

“Hi yeah not to be rude but I have it on good intel from gr8pimpin and hungryhungryhippos that you do actually have a bacon bar so I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WONT TELL ME WHERE IT IS”

“Please leave this Whole Foods”

11 Likes

:joy: That is precisely what I’m going to do.

7 Likes

Make an early morning trek. I know there is a breakfast bar at the Playa Vista WF… but it has limited hours… I just saw the sign noting the hours (I’m guessing some folks at 11am where like…“Where’s da bacon?”

5 Likes

I’ve literally gone to Brea Whole Foods at 8:30am and the bacon is gone and not to be refilled. I have literally zero proof and I’m pretty sure he lives no where near Brea but in my mind I always blame @Gr8pimpin

7 Likes

@thechez5

FWIW, Lazy Acres is part of Bristol Farms and they also have the hot food bacon bar set up that was only available in the mornings. I’m not sure if they’ve fully brought back everything but pre-pandemic, I used to work near the one on PCH and Artesia. We used to go in around 9 am and it would be fully stocked with fresh hot bacon. But after 10 they usually stopped refilling and get it ready to turn to lunchtime foods.

2 Likes

:rofl:

:rofl:

When I go into a Whole Foods and there’s no bacon at the bar, I blame me too.

11 Likes

Hopefully you score the posted hours are 7-11. But i was there around maybe like 840 and there was no bacon left and one piece of sausage. I asked the kitchen workers and they said they had no plans to refill bacon so I think wf is wise to the fact that ppl just go there and gorge the bacon lol.

3 Likes

Amazon does $1bn+ per day in sales. Give us some extra crispy bacon. It’s the least we deserve.

8 Likes

It really is the most inconsistent product on the planet. Sometimes they have the really thin stuff, some days thick. Some days I’ve gone it’s so crispy it crumbles in your mouth. Other days, limp.

2 Likes

They can certainly bring home the bacon. Now ask them to fry it up in a pan.

3 Likes

I was watching Bon Appetit a few days ago, and they said that, for best results, they bake it on a rack!!! I never make bacon, but it does make sense (and this method was totally new to me).

1 Like

For years I used to bake it on a rack. It’s terrific. But I now bake it on a a foil or parchment lined baking sheet.

I like it better.

1 Like

On the rare days they even have it at our local WF, it’s that really thin kind that’s not even cooked crisp and hardly worth eating – much like what used to be found in the cheapest breakfast buffets here in Vegas. We call it “tissue bacon”. Some years ago, before the party was over, WF served high-quality, thick, crispy bacon. I miss those days.

2 Likes