South Bay Staples

Another barans 2231 breakfast burrito. I had phannys the day before I still think barans is better but it’s closer than I thought

2 Likes

Damn i was all excited about ryla. Is it bad or is it more like pretty good considering the area but maybe not up to ftc standards?

1 Like

It wasn’t bad, I just don’t see why I would want to eat this type of food when Torrance has much tastier options at a fraction of the cost. If you were to be bar hopping in Hermosa, sure why not stop in for drinks and some snacks.

2 Likes

Photo dump.

Baekjeong in Torrance

Beef combo (thinly sliced brisket, ribeye, & marinated boneless short rib), banchan, bibimbap, doenjang-jjigae:

Wadatsumi in Torrance

Bara chirashi bowl, Masami wagyu kalbi, & premium beef curry rice with hamburg:

Zacatecas in Hawthorne

Carne asada plate with side of chiles toreados:

Ladybug Cafe in Gardena

LB fried chicken plate, teriyaki chicken & kalbi combo plate, and spam musubi:

Northern Cafe in Gardena

Spicy beef noodle soup with fried egg added:

Lee’s Tofu in Gardena

Dak bulgogi:

Kotohira in Gardena

Korokke, takoyaki, beef curry rice, sukiyaki-don, and hot tanuki udon:

Furaibo in Gardena (takeout order)

Tarzan pack (half chicken) with extra house dressing:

(Can you tell I love Tozai Plaza?)

Proudly Serving in Redondo Beach

The Founder (double smashburger with cheese, seared yellow mustard, diced white onions, pickles, ketchup) and duck fat fries:

23 Likes

Didn’t know that sweet rice and bowl Thai were the same restaurants but they seem to own three buildings in the corner of the plaza along with a dessert place

Thai pork omelette and khao soi plus coconut ice cream with mango and red beans. Best khao soi I’ve had in a minute and compares favorably to Thai town khao sois. Will be back to try more food.

9 Likes

Gaya Korean in Torrance

Haemul pajeon, beef & mushroom soondubu jjigae, and banchan:

La Esperanza Restaurant in Torrance

Hilachas (Guatemalan shredded beef and potato stew) with tamal de chipilín:

Desayuno Chapin (eggs, Salvadoran chorizo, fried plantains, tortillas, crema, refried black beans, chirmol, queso fresco):

Boiling Point in Gardena

Lamb hotpot and scallion gravy rice:

Banadir Somali Restaurant in Inglewood

Lamb & rice and beef & rice, with basbaas sauce:

Please give Banadir your business. Their food is ridiculously good.

CoCo Ichibanya in Torrance

Wiener, spinach, & mushroom curry (level 10):

Leo’s Tacos (Wilmington truck)

Tacos al pastor:

17 Likes

Love the Somali-side-banana!

1 Like

I was wondering if that was a banana-for-scale thing a-la PorkyBelly’s uni :rofl:

3 Likes

@Wakko11

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. It’s very cool that tradition is maintained. I’ll just be the outcast if I eat there because I dislike bananas :pleading_face: :smile:

2 Likes

lol! same here but i’d still eat it rather than be disrespectful.

2 Likes

Hahah. Bites of the sweet banana with the meat and rice and spicy basbaas sauce was actually really good! A really satisfying combination of flavors, imo.

3 Likes

It’s a texture thing lol i don’t eat uni either! unless i’m being polite hahhah i’m sure the the flavor combo works

1 Like

“Sometimes a banana is just a banana.”

1 Like

Gwen

1 Like

Just started hitting Gardena as we venture more and more beyond our new(ish) home town. Been going to the plaza with Boiling Point a lot. But personally BP is not my joint. Can’t stand the sweetish aftertaste. Much prefer Tasty Pot, alas the closest one is in Ranch Cucamonga.

What we are loving though is Northern Cafe. I had assumed that this NC was part of the same chain as the one in Rancho PV, but menu is far more extensive, interesting and Chinese. Beef noodle soup broth is spot on for Lanzhou la mian. The scallion pancakes are not greasy at all, crisp on the outside, chewy inside and chock full of green onion. My kids wolfed down the beef pancake roll. And I didn’t feel bad ordering it because unlike the deep fried or overly pan fried versions that are served way too often, this one is pan fried in the minimum amount of oil necessary, so it is again, crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside with the requisite brown crunchy spots on the outside and almost no trace of oil. Lamb skewers were well seasoned, gamy and still nicely chewy. We’ve been craving beef noodle soup so this was a very welcome find!

8 Likes

Yeah, Boiling Point is just ok to me. But it does the job and satisfies my hotpot craving since O Young’s Rockpot in Gardena, which was my favorite, was unfortunately a casualty of the pandemic.

1 Like

The only other place I’ve found is Fine Wok in Lomita does a beef pot and lamb pot. It’s not great, but still prefer it over Boiling Point. Replace the tofu knots with tofu and it’s even better.

2 Likes

Queen of Sheba Ethiopian Restaurant in Inglewood

Zilzil tibs (grilled beef with peppers), lamb awaze tibs (lamb marinated in hot pepper sauce and fried in ghee with onions), and injera:

Komatsu Restaurant in Torrance

Tempura king oyster mushrooms, Kurobuta pork katsu, and broiled mackerel:

Nene’s Colombian Restaurant in Lawndale

Picada (chicharrón, morcilla, chorizo, carne asada, patacones, platano maduro, papa, papa criolla, empanadas, yuca), ají Colombiano, and arepa con queso:

Weekend food stands on Figueroa & PCH in Wilmington

Huitlacoche quesadilla and chicharrón quesadilla from the Las Comadres Quesadillas Estilo D.F. stand:

Tacos de asada and tacos de chorizo from the Taquería Al Carbón El Compita Estilo Tijuana stand:

19 Likes

Your pictures have been looking really good!! @thechez5

Those tacos and quesadillas look great

3 Likes