South Bay Staples

For Tomizo Ramen, get the cilantro goyza and baby scallop side. Aunty Maile’s Kalua pork and cabbage is really good. Kansha Creamery, Pollo A la Brasa Vermont.

3 Likes

second Kansha Creamery. Also, I’m a big Kitikata ramen fan, although it is a very specific style of ramen - very light broth and very white, curly noodles that are more like what you might find in a beef noodle soup than a ramen…

1 Like

Kansha Creamery is especially cool if you can catch them on a night where there’s a collab with Kuramoto Ice for shaved ice and ice cream. But that may be just for summer…not entirely sure.

3 Likes

Tried Kuramoto for the first time last year. Made a big mess, think I’ll bring a plate next time. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Borjstar Shawarma Shop for their mixed beef/chicken shawarma wrap eaten with their spicy sauce.

4 Likes

Borjstar is definitely on my list anything else I should try there?

1 Like

The best item there for me is the chicken and beef mixed wrap. They crisp it up in the shawarma fat on the flat top; the flavors of the ingredients just go well and the spicy sauce puts it over the top.

I have had other items, the kapsalon is tasty but a tad greasy if I had a second item to order. But I just always go back to the mixed wrap.

2 Likes

Ok I’m getting your order!

Red onion fajitas and vibe are great.

Fish tacos miche de Baja 2 each on Wednesday

3 Likes

Borjstar schwarma wrap is delicious. Love the simplicity of chicken and pickles wrapped in a nicely griddled lavash pita type thing. Great garlic sauce and hot sauce. So good.

6 Likes

@js76wisco and @A5KOBE influenced

Did a borjstar and Gardena bowl bang bang, I’m rarely in that area so I had to stop in at borjstar with our planned gardena bowl lunch.

They don’t pick up their phone at borjstar but the chicken wrap was delectable. So simple but sublime with sauces. The guy taking my order said “that’s the best thing in the menu” lol. Will be back!

5 Likes

Next time chicken and beef wrap mixed together, it’s not on the menu but you get the best of both worlds. They will charge you for the beef which I believe is slightly more in price.

5 Likes

Aunties. Breakfast burrito with Portuguese sausage.

Got to speak with the owner Bradley. Learned a few things……

In Hawaii, Portuguese sausage is longaniza. In Torrance/Gardena Portuguese sausage is the patties.

Gardena Bowl Coffeeshop has gone thru many different families in their 40 year history.

TNT Aloha was sold off.

7 Likes

Aloha Royal at Aunties.

6 Likes

Great intel!

1 Like

That looks DELICIOUS.

1 Like

It was ono! This Royal might be the closet thing to the OG Gardena Bowl. Make sure to specify the homemade sausage patties if you want the Torrance/Gardena “Portuguese sausage”.

3 Likes

where are the fajitas from??

Red onion, local spot that once was a mini chainlet that has been open since 1940 something more nostalgia than anything but their faijitas are super high quality and the interior is spectacular like Casa Vega but more authentic/family feeling. Also good are chili con carne and pork verde. Our go to is the fajitas for 2 for 39 bucks comes with shrimp steak and chicken. Used to be 35 bucks until recently.

It’s our favorite place for a sit down dinner on the hill since there is a dearth of options.

The original owner of our house was taking her kids there in the 1950’s and that’s the last meal they had before they moved out of the house. Filled to the brim with multi generational families and regulars, 5PM is always the busiest lol.

2 Likes

awesome, I’ll check it out. I think that’s the place that inspired Rick Bayless’s Red O, which still operates (though without Rick’s involvement).

it’s funny that place is so deep within PV that it takes me almost half an hour to get there

2 Likes