Sushi Kaneyoshi - Little Tokyo

yeah I usually notice the first piece has warmer rice but not this time.

1 Like

Excellent dinner. Very strong execution that evening.

Shari which think many have mentioned mixed experience was on point. You could feel the firm al dente’ish bite and I thought temperature was good.

1. Iwashi definitely the bite of the night. Love the scoring knifework
  2. Nodoguro Bo-zushi - I’ll happily accept nodoguro as a substitute for saba
  3. Kohada - lovely rendition. Beautiful filet specimens!
  4. Tuna Katsu - surprise prep. I was initially speculating it was wagyu
  5. Kensaki Ika - Salt looked like someone prepping a line to snort
  6. Maguro Zuke - Deconstructed tekka maki presentation for a neta forward bite. Yumz.
  7. Maguro Shiso - refreshing combo
  8. Ishigakigai - Sweet & crunchy
  9. Anago - Great disintegrate-in-the-mouth texture
  10. Chawamushi - One of the silkiest I’ve had. Only point deduction, scallop was a touched more cooked than I prefer.

Remaining items were great too, no misses imo

7 Likes

all the Little Red Book complaints finally got it to change ha

Question for all you sushi-hounds…had a couple of items last night (9/27) that I’ve never heard of before…

1. Bincho-seared Toro Head - this was described to us as “the head.” Is this noten?

2. ‘Steamed Sushi’ (nodoguro, ginger, favas, sudachi zest, kudzu thickened dashi) - is steamed nigiri a thing, or just a Yoshi-san creation? (opinion: This was really good, but my personal preference for nodoguro is grilled rather than steamed.)

7 Likes

yes, top of the head/forehead I believe. better than a5.

8 Likes

i had something similar as an otsumami at the brothers x sushi shunji collab that yoshi-san also went to. it was with steamed kue and had less sauce.

7 Likes

It exists and others serve it. I’ve had it in New York and Tokyo. Traditional izushi doesn’t really look like that, but as a dish with ankake sauce and soramame, that presentation might be a bit creative.

3 Likes

Top of the head. Poor guy. Getting his head scooped

4 Likes

Noten is what your photo looked like. Hohoniku is the tuna cheek, which is also possible, but that musculature on your nigiri piece is more akin to noten. Very lucky that you got to try it!

Steamed neta is acceptable in sushi repertoire. Nodoguro is oilier than other fish, so steaming is possible in this case.

2 Likes

The nuchal muscles in many fish (not just tuna) are also prized. My cousin and I fight for the “noten” part on Canto-style steamed fish dishes as well! That’s good eatin’!

Seared hohoniku and akami were used for the futomaki. But yes, that was our first time trying bluefin noten, and it was incredible!

1 Like

yamayuki sourced line-caught oma tuna now at brothers sushi sm

9 Likes

Yamayuke line caught everywhere now. I only want hand caught

3 Likes

I want them to come to me willingly. #Aquaman

4 Likes

Going tomorrow, does anyone by chance have a recent picture of the drink menu?

Not really that recent but from August:

Edit: tried to upload a larger size

2 Likes

Last night’s dinner proved to me that Kaneyoshi reigns supreme in a city filled with excellent sushi.
Rice was subjectively perfect, a masterful blend of Akazu and shirozu with excellent attention to temperature throughout the omakase. The ankimo, (seikogani) chawanmushi, kamasu, and shirako were all literally the best versions of themselves I have ever experienced. The ebi toast with uni on top and oyster puree soba were mindblowingly delicious as well. Truly a beautiful and perfect dinner.

17 Likes

Going this Saturday - thank you for the preview!

2 Likes

Just in case you want to know the current drink menu

3 Likes

Jan 2024 report

A few new items (for me). All delicious.

Shirako, Mozuku, Kiwi

Kawahagi topped with Kawahagi Liver

Ebodai w/ Sudachi

Bincho-Seared Kue

10 Likes