Kegani

Ankimo, narazuke

Chutoro

Hokkaido uni

Dashi miso

Negitoro temaki

Otoro (bonus round)

Umeshu sorbet

Sushi Salon spent a while as a pop-up and recently secured a permanent location (this was my first time either way). Very solid addition to the East Bay’s sushi scene, bringing up the number of “real” sushi spots to… 2 (alongside Utzutzu; arguably 3 if you count Tancho). My one quibble is that it did not feel like quite enough food; 17 courses is usually reasonable but that often includes one or two more substantial plates, i.e. chawanmushi, and the nigiri here was on the smaller side. On the other hand, we were given the option of replaying any rounds we liked (as well as the o-toro, which wasn’t part of the original omakase). One of the other diners went for a few additional pieces - maybe 4 or so?

The overall, the quality of neta was exceptional, and the rice was good. It’s also been a while since I’ve had anything new to me - this was my first time trying goatfish, and I might’ve had parrotfish once before but wouldn’t swear to it.

Reservations are surprisingly accessible, maybe because they have two seatings a night and the first one is at 5:00 pm. I do hope they stick around (though I also continue to live in hope that some day there will be a sushi place of reasonable quality in the East Bay that one can walk in to on a random weekday and be reasonably likely to snag a bar seat).

3 Likes