tsubaki
yangban
yang’s kitchen
yess

6 Likes

What is ‘the ruby fruit’?

lesbian bar

3 Likes

Bar/Restaurant in the former Eszett space, and before that it was Allegria.

4 Likes

I thought this list was really boring. It’s basically 25 restaurants in LA everyone already knows about or has been written about/talked about - would have been nice to see more outliers.

2 Likes

That’s fair, but if I were making reccos to someone visiting LA who is a NYtimes reader this is spot on.

7 Likes

Other than the fact that this list doesn’t include my four favorite restaurants—Maude, Hayato, Providence, and Sushi Ginza Onodera—I think it’s not a bad list.

2 Likes

Have you been to Maude recently? Curious how did the menu is. I went shortly after the reopen and it was…fine! And service was spotty.

Peony: please see pictures from our recent visit below. The food was really impressive! We feel Maude has elevated so much especially since last year!

7 Likes

nice! looks like no repeats from the time I went. For a while I was keeping up with recent instas and such and 80% of the menu was the same sans some seasonal adjustments but it looks like they’re branching out. I’m excited to do a revisit. Thank you for posting these.

4 Likes

What would be the outliers? I get the feeling LA food and media have reached a level where anything that is great is already known and written about and there are no secrets anymore.

1 Like

Macheen’s not one of the usual suspects for such lists.

1 Like

Seemed to be a conscience effort to spread out the cuisine and areas.

4 Likes

Antico Nuovo??? LMAOOO

3 Likes

The NY Times comment section cracks me up. So much bitching and whining.

2 Likes

If I had the time to find those outliers I could be the columnist :sweat_smile: . I think I would just like to know about new restaurants a la Jonathan Gold vs. a regurgitation of the same places that are hard to get into/everyone knows about

2 Likes

isn’t that what ftc is for?
get into baroo now before the nyt blows it up.

7 Likes

OMG have you ever read the comment section when Eric Asimov writes a column. So much whining

2 Likes

Sure but I feel like I read food media to find out about new places and read criticism/someone who spends 5-6 days a week eating out (which I don’t). I feel like the current food media is starting to all resemble one another: LATimes, NYTimes, Eater, Infatuation etc. Though I think Bill Addison at LAT tries to do the JGold approach and also find hidden gems in LA.

I mean there are thousands of restaurants in LA not including everything within a short drive from LA. I’d imagine there’s lots of hidden spots that don’t get written about enough.

A good example would be LATaco which I feel like goes out of its way to find very out of the radar restaurants/taquerias.

7 Likes