Thermomix - Automated self contained prep and cook device?

My cousin in Sydney raves about her Thermomix unit. I’m really skeptical on what this thing can do? Has anyone encountered or tried it before?

Dominique Crenn uses one. I’m skeptical that it could possibly be worth $2000.

Did anyone buy this? I just heard about it from a friend of a friend who loves it, lol. She says it makes everything from salt to lemonade. But this video shows the pitfalls of cooking a whole dish in one appliance (uneven).

It’s probably great if you’re looking for one appliance to provide time saving convenience. Pros like Chef Crenn & crew have probably figured out how to utilize it for maximum benefit. But for a good home cook? I dunno’. Price is now around $1500. I have yet to pull the trigger on better knives, so it’s definitely not on my radar. Also, I can’t find info. about what material is used to make the attachments and inserts. Teflon? Plastic? Both a no from me.

If you ‘need’ new knives talk to @JBroida from Japanese knife imports!

1 Like

For normal home you it’s overkill. The main advantage I hear is that it can do the functions o f a blender and food processor but apply heat as well so that’s it unique trait.

For a kitchen $1500 is not a big deal for quality equipment but if you want to use one you will need a transformer as they typically run on 220V and require 2500W