Tired Of Terrible French Fries

No, no argument from me (at least about the fries being okay). I would actually say that they’re better than okay, but I don’t crave them. And I don’t even live THAT far away.

Also can’t stand how loud the music is.

I think Metro Cafe (in Culver City/Marina del Rey) has great fries.

3 Likes

Agree. I was looking forward to the Heavy Handed fries, but they were just OK…

1 Like

Same. I thought they were good, but my favorite fries remain the ones from Orleans and York because they are old skool fiest fries. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Again, they were very good for fries. But I like the ones at George’s in Boyle Heights and Win-Dow better. They salt them more. Also, I did not like the heavy handed burger at all. It’s short rib and was crazy beefy with no balance. I much perfer the Win-Dow burger.

Finally, we also tried the Heavy Handed dippy cones because we love those. They were a bit too waxy… Win-Dow’s again are better, but the best around is Dipped in El Segundo.

12 Likes

Bookmarking dipped!

3 Likes

My friend who lives around the corner from HH brought Mayo, lettuce and tomato and added it to the burger. I was like what are you doing when she whipped it all out at the table. It was delicious. LOL

9 Likes

Commercial frozen fries are more prevalent than you’d guess.

Your Favorite Chef Is Probably Using These Frozen French Fries

I’ve tried the Lamb Westons. They’re not that bad.

2 Likes

I tried to order them it says commercial sales only.

Found the Lamb Westons at Gelson’s and occasionally at Vons.

6 Likes

I’ve seen the at Smart and Final.

3 Likes

Oh wow. Will look for them.

1 Like

They look good on Google images - but they do look like they’re roasted. A bit on the thick side. Gotta say, I do love good roasted, crispy potatoes. But I’m curious - when I mention Hal’s or Rebecca’s (or the West Beach Cafe) I do so as a reference. Have you tried them? (yes, they’re out of business, but when they were in business - did you try them?).

Sorry, no I haven’t tried Hal’s or Rebecca’s.

I suspect the Gucci Osteria fries are actually mashed potato fries. That’s what they tasted like to me. They have outstanding browning on the outside and are soft as mashed potatoes on the inside. I tend to like fries that are a little more al dente, so these weren’t my favorite fries, but they were memorable and special.

This sounded promising - after all it’s a Bruce Marder restaurant. I gave them a try and unfortunately, while being okay, they were a far cry from Marder’s crowning achievement. The quest continues.

Really?! Not as good as Five Guys fries? Now, I took a special trip to try out their fries and thought they were pretty good for fast food. Not state of the art. I gave them another try a few weeks ago at another venue (the one of Venice just east of La Brea). And while they looked promising, nothing special. Not a contender. Possibly they vary, but fast food, if anything, tries to be consistent.

Five Guys can be hit or miss. That is why I don’t go often. The prices are high and with it being hit or miss, especially at that mid-city location, I maybe go once or twice a year. Their burgers can get incredibly soggy and their fries can get incredibly limp FAST.

2 Likes

I think fries getting limp fast is a sign that the potatoes were too moist to begin with and/or that they weren’t double-fried to reduce the moisture.

1 Like

The Go Go Bird fries are the BOMB. I’ve been missing out.

12 Likes

Those look delicious.

Average. Disappointing.