Truckin’ On

The Mid-City truck scene is looking good

Tostada Mixta

Marinated Chopped Snapper, Shrimp, Octopus, Avocado, Pico de Gallo, Hot Sauce, Lime. I’m hearing the pro-tip is to get some Poseidon Sauce on the side.

Tacos de Cameron

The MJ Signature - Shrimp, Avocado, Crunchy, Crispy, Creamy, Saucy, Yummy. :hearts:

Cold Modelo :shushing_face:

Some seating available.

1830 S La Cienega
Monday - Friday 10:00am-4:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00am-5:00pm

Del Mar Ostioneria

Swankifying Sinaloan seafood in the Miracle Mile. Chef Francisco Leal started his business with an ice chest on a street in Vernon. With help from a believer, he & his crew are now serving Japanese-inspired ceviches & more on La Brea. Who knows what’s next?

Kanpachi Ceviche - Cucumber, Red Onion, Tomato, Cilantro, Serrano, Lime Juice, Salt & Pepper, Avocado, Spicy Ponzu, Crushed Chiltepin Pepper

Excellent. Extra avocado is the ticket. :hearts:

Kanpachi Sashimi - Medium Spicy Ponzu, Sesame Oil, Yuzu House Sauce, Sesame, Radish, Sprouts, Jalapeño & Caviar (extra)

Super fresh kanpachi. There’s more sauce, spice & salt than traditional Japanese sashimi preparations. Caviar was a tad soft but w/nice briny flavor. The dish as a whole is very good. I would order it again, lite on sauce.

Kumamoto Oysters - Spicy Ponzu Sauce, Lime Juice, Cucumber, Red Onion, Tomato, Crushed Chiltepin Pepper, S&P

Jalapeño Caviar Topper

Fresh, cold, delicious, spicy! I wasn’t sure about all the toppings but it’s nicely balanced albeit a tad salty which I rectified the next visit by asking them to omit the xtra sprinkling of salt. :hearts:

Shooter Sampler - 1 Oyster, 1 Kanpachi, 1 Tuna, 1 Shrimp, Clamato, Lime Juice, S&P, Chopped Veggie, Spicy Ponzu, Crushed Chiltepin Pepper

Tamarindo Shrimp Taco - Breaded Fried Wild Caught Shrimp, Handmade Blue Corn Tortilla, Guacamole, Cilantro, House Tamarindo Sauce

Baja Shrimp Taco - Breaded Fried Wild-Caught Shrimp, Handmade Blue Corn Tortilla, Cabbage Mix, Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, House Sauce

Open wide! :grin:

Baja Fish Taco - Breaded Fried Halibut, Handmade Blue Corn Tortilla, Cabbage Mix, Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, House Sauce

My favorite of the tacos so far. :hearts:

Filet Mignon Taco - Filet Mignon, Crispy Cheese Blanket, Avocado, Spicy Pistachio House Sauce

I’m really feeling seafood when I go to DMO but the pistachio sauce seemed interesting and I wanted to try. Beef is tender & juicy. Delicious taco but really rich. I was good after a couple bites. Hubs digs it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Lobster Taco - Lobster, Crispy Melted Cheese Base, Handmade Blue Corn Tortilla, Avocado, Crispy Leeks, Chipotle House Sauce

Lobster & toppings are fine but melted cheese (or really any cheese) on a lobster taco is gilding the lily, imo. I might try it again sans cheese.

Surf & Turf Taco - Handmade Blue Corn Tortilla, Crispy Cheese Base, Filet Mignon, Lobster, Avocado, Crispy Leeks

Didn’t try this.

Tostada Special - Sushi grade Crab Mix (aka imitation), Cooked Shrimp, Cooked Octopus, Cucumber, Red Onion, Spicy Mayo, Salt & Pepper, Spicy Ponzu Sauce, Lime Juice, Avocado, Crushed Chiltepin Pepper, Crunchy Corn Tostada

This was kinda nuts. I don’t mind imitation crab now & then. I actually kinda like it. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: It rings the nostalgic bell of grocery store sushi & the crab salad sub that Subway used to sell. But this is a little much lol. I knew ahead of time it was imitation crab but expected some chunks mixed with the octopus & shrimp not this shredded mass of crazy. The sauce and shrimp are very good and the pulpo was excellent.

Really good outdoor seating…

Super clean spot. Fresh, thoughtfully sourced seafood. Intriguing preparations. The guys running things are very friendly and welcoming of feedback. There were a few flaws with execution, sauce & salt could be dialed back a bit, blue corn tortillas can be a little thick & undercooked (doesn’t stop me from ordering a taco almost every time). Seriously, I am very happy to have this little gem in walking distance! :blush:

830 S La Brea
Monday - Closed​
Tuesday - Friday: 12pm-8pm
Saturday 11am-8pm
Sunday 11am-5pm

El Chato

The quintessential LA taco truck for late night munchies eaten on the hood of your car… or home.

Tacos Al Pastor & Cabeza

Burrito Al Pastor

My husband is a diehard El Chato fan. The way they slice the pork from the trompo, chop it & sear it on the flat top is his jam - the meat is tender w/crispy bits. The pungent aroma of seasoning & sauces fills our kitchen. The cabeza is also chopped up fine and so tender with the right amount of fat. I used to pass on El Chato. Had it once, wasn’t my jam. This particular late night we were coming home from a concert and famished. I gave in. Bomb! :boom: Idk if they upped their game or my tastebuds changed their mind but I’m an El Chato convert. I had to have it a couple nights after to make sure I wasn’t just drunk, stoned & hungry the last time. Nope. It’s bomb. Horchata is delicious too!

5300 Olympic Blvd
Wednesday - Thursday 8pm - 1am
Friday - Saturday 8pm - 2:30am

Truckin’ on to the Westside…

First Friday on Abbott Kinney, Venice

A food truckapalooza the 1st Friday of every month.

Kogi BBQ - Quesadilla (I think it) & Tacos

1st time having food from the famous Kogi BBQ Truck. Idk why I never had anything Kogi before - it seemed a little much. It is… in a good way. I likee! We were traveling in a pack - the dudes broke away and returned with a bunch of offerings from the Kogi Truck. Thank you! I don’t know what all I tried but it was good! Saucy, tangy, spicy, cheesy, tender meaty, yummy. :fire:

Baby’s Badass Burgers

I didn’t have a burger but peeps who did were happy.

Malibu Cove Seafood

Long line for this truck. I got a Lobster Roll because I thought it would be easy to eat on the street and because I love Lobster Rolls. This wasn’t what I envisioned lol - it comes unassembled, surprisingly saucy & it’s really quite delicious. Like a Lobster Bisque Roll. :blush: Crinkle Cut Fries were nice & crispy.

Fry Day - Street Corn Fries

Sweet Treats…

We parked a ways away and walked. Got there early to beat the crowds but it filled up fast. Fortunately, the shops leave seats in front for the 1st Friday-ers. If you’re eagle-eyed you can snag one. We got lucky with adirondack chairs in front of the Ray-Ban store. :sunglasses:

Keep on Truckin’, Baby!

27 Likes

I had lunch recently and now I’m hungry, again.

Looks delish!

1 Like

I need to try Del Mar those fish and shrimp tacos look so good!

If hubby likes al pastor check out Brothers Cousins on Sawtelle across from Primos.

3 Likes

Haha I just saw your post. :grin:

1 Like

hi @TheCookie,
great thoughts and pics on your food truck journey. what was your favorite? thanks.

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly

Thanks. Me being a seafood gal, I’m going with two of the seafood trucks. Mariscos Jalisco for straight-up OG Mexican seafood and that taco! :stuck_out_tongue: Del Mar Ostioneria because of their sourcing, preparations and the setup which my cousin says is really a small restaurant disguised as a truck because it never moves lol.

5 Likes

My wife and I were walking and stopped in to check that truck out, didn’t have time to eat but since you’ve mentioned it was good, we’re gonna give it a try. Thanks!

2 Likes

Oh good. Curious to see what you think. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Epic post!

1 Like

Thanks @aaqjr! :blush:

I was going to post on the monthly rundown threads but realized we don’t have a food truck thread so I started working on it. Anybody have a favorite food truck feel free to post it!

6 Likes