Tuk Tuk Thai

Been to Tuk Tuk a few things now and my conclusion is that they’re much better when dining in. Takeout has been underwhelming. Never tried the Khao Soi as we usually order the curries, glass noodle salads, and wok fry noodles. The Pecking House fried chicken holds up well for takeout. I want to return to try the sando (they didn’t have it yet when I tried). I also like the idea of using the space next door for rotating pop ups.

3 Likes

Went with an out of town friend who doesn’t eat a lot of Thai Monday night so I stuck to some basics for him. Have tastes like chinwah. Pretty good experience besides one server for the entire place being run ragged as the place was full. Had a special pork belly pad zee ew with thin glass noodles in lieu of traditional wide noodles that was very good as was the Panang beef and Bangkok steak. Should offer more lettuce with steak to the level of Mint and Cucumber so more than one person can try as a lettuce roll. Pineapple fried rice was undercurried but still tasty. Papaya salad was not as spicy as I might like though my friend found it and Panang very spicy for his underdeveloped palate, but he loved both. Thai Dim Sum and Shrimp Balls were good if a bit dense. Agree that the dine in experience was far better than a couple attempts at delivery that I’d done in the past.

3 Likes

That was my main concern after my first experience. Seemed like there was one person bussing and another person taking orders… And that it might not have been enough staff. But I’ll def give dine-in a try.

Rec’d an e-mail from Tuk Tuk w/ their Halloween specials:

The pumpkin sounds good. The rest of it might be a bit too hardcore for me…

1 Like

Same family that runs Jitlada. Hard to compare the two since they’re doing different things for different demographics.

I really enjoyed Pecking House until that pop-up closed. I’d argue $17 for their 3 piece was worth it. I did not care for the flavorless sides, particularly at $8 a pop. Looking forward to the next pop-up rotation for that space. It’s a great concept and much needed for that block of Sawtelle. (I continue to fuck with Nina’s hardshell tacos across the street.)

Regarding Tuk Tuk, it’s good. Arguably best in West LA. I’d prefer their parents’ mid-city Chao Krung (the house-mortar’d green curry there is wonderful)… or any other Thai spot moving northeast. It’s nice having non-shit Thai food near me, though.

2 Likes

I thought the parents’ place was Natalee Thai?

I’ve only been to Tuk Tuk a few times, but I don’t know if it’s even that arguable. Haven’t been to N+M for several yrs (pre-pandemic, I think), but I think Tuk Tuk is better b/c the flavors aren’t as garish.

It’s Chao Krung.

3 Likes

BTW, what other places do you like on the westside?

The argument for me is between Tuk Tuk and Emporium. None of it compares, remotely, to almost any Thai restaurant moving east (ignoring better options aside from the generic gastrodiplomacy spots) along the way. Emporium does the mussels dish righteously, though, and I appreciate not having to drive 30-45min for it.

I really enjoy N+M Sahm, and N+M in general, but I do not consider it strictly Thai. The drunken noodles with Langer’s pastrami? Balance of flavors, nearly excessive spice, and levity to the dish all fucking rip. My mom was actively upset and considered it a loose affront to her heritage. I get both sides and certainly understand what you mean by “garish.”

Thai? Nothing else besides what I’ve mentioned. Happy to give you a rundown of everything else I love, though. West LA is mostly overlooked because it’s mostly underwhelming.

2 Likes

Yes, I meant what other Thai places on the westside do you like. :slight_smile: But feel free to share your other westside favorites on other threads. :slight_smile:

I should clarify that I like the garish and crazy at N+M, but i need to be in the right mood. The 2 times I went to Tuk Tuk, I felt like it was something I would want to eat on a more freq basis than N+M.

Maybe I ordered wrong at Emporium. I tried it 1–2 times like 10 yrs ago, and whatever I had ordered didn’t agree w/ my digestive system. And, while I thought it was tasty, it didn’t send me. But perhaps time for a re-try. Beside the mussels, what do you like there?

Im also on the westside forever in search of good Thai.
This midcity spot is on my hot list to try next - https://www.yelp.com/biz/spicy-sugar-thai-midcity-los-angeles. Also, this one in Mar Vista -https://www.yelp.com/biz/good-day-thai-kitchen-and-cafe-los-angeles?osq=thai

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Anyone tried BKK101 recently? It was solid years ago relative to many other westside options

I thought BKK101 was meh…

I had a bad experience at Sawtelle Tuk Tuk, but it was their first week and it was takeout - everything sucked. I should go back.

La Ong in Beverly Hills is darn good Thai, IMHO, despite it’s eyebrow-raising location.
You will pay more than Thai town but the quality of the ingredients is also a step up.
Chicharoon is crazy good
yelp photo

1 Like

Partner and I went to Spicy Sugar and really enjoyed it. Here’s the thread started by someone else on the place:

I remember you writing about it. There were also some bad Yelp reviews from around that same general time period, which is why I held off trying it. 2 other posters w/i the past few months had enjoyed it, so I gave it a try. My 2 experiences were totally different from the neg reviews, so hopefully it’s consistently (way) better now.

1 Like

Si Laa on Robertson (near Pico) is my favorite westside Thai restaurant. A small menu, executed well, with terrific service.

2 Likes

Hm, just to be clear–I’d put Emporium at #2 in West LA, but the bar is pretty low. (My #3 pick would be objectively bad.) Other dishes done fairly well: pad prik king and the southern curry. Most of the menu is so-so. Avoid any of the noodle dishes there like the plague.

2 Likes

Went back to TTT last night…
It is non-shit but still just OK
Tried
– Shrimp and crab green curry dumplings - not bad, curry sauce was tasty
– Holy Basil chicken rice (“grapow”) - ordered Thai Spicy - very dry, had some flavor and heat, though I would describe it as not having any real depth of flavor.

4 Likes

How do you mess up the combination of basil, chiles, garlic, oyster sauce, sugar. That should be pretty damn flavorful

Welp, I’m glad that it was at least better than was your first visit… :slight_smile:

2 Likes