Spicy Sugar Thai (Mid City)

When you think good authentic Thai food, the sleepy stretch of La Brea and San Vicente would probably not be your first, second or even tenth choice.

But, tucked away in front of a little motel (what is the relationship between motels and incredible Thai cooking?), Spicy Sugar Thai has quietly started serving some of the best Thai food in the city. When you’re given the menu, it has the standard curry rainbow, pad see ew, crab rangoon, and satay, but ask for the special Thai menu and you’ll see that there is a lot more to this place than you might have thought.

We ordered the duck laap, blood clam pla ra, and the whole fish miang wrap. Everything was spectacular.

The laap was meaty, with crunchy bits of skin, and plenty of liver, topped with deep fried chilies and a healthy dose of lime and toasted rice powder.

The blood clams were super fresh, briney and meaty with a good bit of heat and funkiness from the fermented fish sauce.

The whole grilled fish was delicious, served with a variety of sauces, fresh diced chilies, ginger, and herbs.

Spicy Sugar is the second branch of a popular Thai restaurant in Long Beach, but the chef/owner Chef Katt lives in Mid City, and it seems that this will be the location that she will be cooking at for the foreseeable future. I am not exaggerating when I say that no one is cooking at this level with these ingredients on this side of town.

You owe it to yourself to check this place out.

Full Thai menu

21 Likes

Nice find! Separate Isaan menu for those who don’t mind a little funk lol.

1 Like

very cool I’ve passed by that place many times and wondered about it. appreciate this post!

1 Like

Does somtom refer to green papaya or to the flavor profile (sour)?

1 Like

Papaya salad

2 Likes

ant egg soup

3 Likes

Wow. Reminds me of the secret menu at Mesa Thai.

And was the southern Thai menu at Jitlada originally only in Thai (and someone named “Eric” had posted a translation somewhere)?

1 Like

Erik M. And the post that started it all…

5 Likes

Amazing (re-)find!

The discussion about it on CH sticks out in my mind b/c I had just started lurking around that time… :slight_smile: 16 yrs ago!!! Although, TBH, it does seem that long ago…

3 Likes

I remember reading that thread like 10 years ago. I think I got linked to it by Tony Chen/Sino Soul in a different thread or on his blog. It blew my mind. I had Thai “food” which consisted of pad thai, pad see ew, and chicken satay. It really opened my mind to Thai food.

4 Likes

Tried it yesterday, and we loved it.

Crying tiger, was really chewy and had a nice, subtle, dark funk to it.

Omelette was a bit too oily for partner (but not too oily for me… :slight_smile: ) but we both appreciated the wonderful lacy delicacy of the egg.

Thought the sausage in the pork sausage somtom would be more like a conventional, well, sausage. It wasn’t. Seemed almost like offal? I didn’t dislike the pork sausage, though, and really liked the rest of the dish. Again, there was a bit of darkness to the taste that was a nice contrast to the papaya salad at our local place.

Person taking our order (the owner?) said that the squid is more of an appetizer size. Uh, no, it’s not. And we ordered the small size. Owner said the fish is considerably bigger (!). So maybe the fish would be better for a group. We had been expecting something more charbroilied, but the texture (so supple despite the slight chewiness) was fantastic, and the SAUCE IS CRACK.

You get some fried wonton strips as a free appetizer to dip in the tableside sauces. So delicious.

Why did I take a pic of the romaine? B/c it was PRISTINE (if a bit wet). I dunno, I really appreciate that kind of detail and care.

Thai iced tea also very tasty.

Owner was also very sweet and gave us extra somtom whe we took our order to go!

I don’t know enough about LA’s Thai scene to say how this compares, but I def think it’s worth a visit (even if you’re not in the immediate area). I also love how this seems to be a cafe for a motel (shades of Metro Cafe).

10 Likes

Went back again a day or two after I posted this thread and got the ant egg soup.

This is a dish I’ve been trying to track down for literally years, but I’ve never tasted. It used to be on a special menu at Noree Thai on Beverly, but they never had it in stock and then I went to Kim Thai Food in the valley because I heard they had it, but by the time I got there it wasn’t on the menu anymore. So I had no idea what I was getting into.

It’s FANTASTIC. The broth is very umami heavy and is almost overpowering with how savory it is. The leaves (acacia?) are slightly slightly bitter and provide a nice counterbalance. Didn’t honestly get a lot of flavor from the eggs themselves, but they provide a nice textural contrast. Kind of like a meaty risotto

7 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the quick review and taking one for the team. I don’t think any other Isaan place has this soup. That is a such deep cut dish. I got put that soup on my to-do list! I was reading about ant eggs and I guess it is suppose to be tart/sour???

2 Likes

shout-out to @AlwaysHungry

6 Likes

Very cool! Looks legit. Couple miles from Noree

3 Likes

Great write up!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Bravo! Yes, thanks for discovering a spot right under my nose @AlwaysHungry! :blush: I hadn’t even noticed Belizean Paradise closed until s/he reported. I tend to avert my eyes when passing that spot lol. Our ‘hood has a love hate relationship with the Relax Inn and the one meal I had at Belizean Paradise was one of the worst meals of my life. But Spicy Sugar Thai is a neighborhood gem. It’s great they’re getting press. The owner & staff are really sweet and the clientele is as diverse as the neighborhood. I’m behind in reporting but have taken a lot of photos and will post soon. FYI they applied for a liquor license so you can soon have a frosty beer with with your spicy food.

5 Likes

Got some photos…

Som Tum Thai Papaya Salad w/Cabbage, Thai Fish Sauce, Dried Bay Shrimps, Sour Plum, Peanuts :hot_pepper:

Crispy Pork Pad Kee Mao - Rice Noodles, Spicy Thai Stir Fry Sauce, Fried Egg, Red & Green Bell Peppers, Thai Basil

Spicy Sugar Thai Wings w/Fried Garlic

Wing Dipping Sauce “Like a spicy Thai mayo”

Mongolian Beef Thai Style

Panang w/Pumpkin & Tofu

Pad See Ew w/Tofu. Duck Larb. Bangkok Street Skewers (chicken thighs)

Mango Sticky Rice

Pretty much everything is a highlight. :hearts: Only miss for me is the duck larb, lotsa flavor but ours didn’t have the liver mentioned upthread and the ground duck was too chewy for my taste, but I could eat a tub of the crispy duck skin! Thank you for coming to my ‘hood, SST!

7 Likes