Weird Eats in LA

A friend just told me about cricket tacos. What other weird eats are out here?

meteora

7 Likes

Burger King tacos.

(Ok, well I think they’re weird, but probably not what you meant)

7 Likes

Chicken and waffles. Corn dogs. 3-Point Bloomin’ Onion.

2 Likes

That’s fucking weird lol!

1 Like

What is weird about a corn dog??? The Disney ones are/were heavenly (IMHO).

3 Likes

Not as perfect since they went from all beef to a mix. The cornbread batter is still delicious.

5 Likes

Are they as good as Jack In Box tacos?

Jack In Box tacos are probably the most weird but tasty tacos. Like really wtf is that. It’s not all meat.

2 Likes

There is a Japanese place in the South Bay doing raw chicken.

There is a place in Little Saigon doing a whole plate of duck blood.

Can’t remember the place but I got a chicken with the face still in tact. Oddly I am fine with fish heads. I don’t think I can deal with a pig face but I am sure the cheek meat is heavenly.

Balut is pretty hardcore imo.

These things depend on what you were exposed growing up. At least for me. Fish heads, beef tendons and chicken feet are no big deal for me because Chinese kids are exposed to that.

7 Likes

" Filling Ingredients: Beef , Water, Ground Dark Chicken , Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Flour, Caramel Color), Defatted Soy Grits, Seasoning…"

1 Like

Jack In The Box tacos definitely are NOT weird lol!

These BK things, I’ve had twice in my life. The first time I said “never again” the second I forgot I said “never again.”

They are an attempt at JitB, but under filled, tasteless and just plain awful.

1 Like

That might explain a lot. It’s been, like, 15 yrs I’ve had one, but I’ll agree w/ @JeetKuneBao that the JiTB ones are super weird (but I don’t think they were that tasty). I wouldn’t even know how to describe the (skimpy) filling other than to say it had some stringy bits that seemed like meat and was otherwise some weird light brown-ish mash that seemed like some alien substances designed to be an approximation of refried beans.

And then they were just so, SO oily. As in, your hand is an oil slick by the time you’re done (which only takes a few secs per taco).

you must elaborate!

edited: I shouldn’t have asked… I see a whole thing of duck blood soup. :face_vomiting:

it really is what you are used to. I am used to chicken feet, chitlins and tongue. yuck…

It’s the taco version of pepperoni grease chalice.

that said imo the tacos need a side of ranch to compensate. TVP in the ingredient list explains a lot.

2 Likes

Or lots of acidic taco/hot sauce.

That’s what was great about the old super tacos. They had that salsa on them (shame it’s not on the monster tacos)

1 Like

This is kinda of a weird regional thing.

In Southern California lots of people enjoying dipping pizza in ranch sauce.

You do that in NY, NJ, CT, PA….I am pretty sure you will get banned lol.

For the record I like dipping pizza in ranch sauce but only for chains.

Now I think the combination of chilli oil and hot honey is freaking amazing.

French fries with a McD’s cone/DQ/Frostys is pretty damn weird.

Regarding OP post I think Guelaguetza (sorry for the butchering) has chapulines.

I know grasshoppers and crickets are not the same but you know.

A Vietnamese friend told me in Vietnam they eat coconut worms (larva form) . I don’t think I seen that dish in Little Saigon. @hppzz @attran99 I am curious what it tastes like because he said it’s good.

1 Like

Yes, but… grease streaming down my hand from a pizza seems totally organic (in all senses of that word). There is nothing organic about the JiTB taco, which made the oil just that much weirder.

Okay, I can see how the tacos are much better when are simply used as a vehicle to deliver tasty sauces… :slight_smile:

About weird eats (although not LA specific)… My family of origin would often get these solid blocks of fish roe (I think) for the New Year and slice off pieces. I hated it as a kid (it’s pretty damn funky), although I eventually got used to it.

Does anyone know what I’m referring to? I don’t know what the actual name of this is, and an internet search based on my description isn’t yielding anything.

1 Like

Rabbit fish?

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+year+fish+roe

Pretty close! I saw the word “bottarga” in one of the image captions in your link, and then searched for

https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+bottarga&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi9-_W99qT8AhX9NEQIHYPLClcQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1334&bih=740&dpr=2#imgrc=cOTPahPM5RFIUM

That’s it!

I assume mullet is diff from rabbit fish. But conceptually close enough. :slight_smile: Thanks for the search results.

1 Like