What Food Does Your Area Need?

You are absolutely right on the chinese food and sushi!

Excellent Korean food too

1 Like

Any place you like up there in particular? I like Seoul Market for kimbap and kimchi but would be nice to have another thing to fold into Descanso Garden trips.

This was a thread dating back to the early 2000s. Just bringing it up solely for nostalgia sake.

With Colette, Dos Besos, Jin Tea, etc., Pasadena is now considerably less weak these days lol.

6 Likes

it went from a F- to a D+

5 Likes

Yeah those highlights don’t scream food destination.

Howlin rays is the only thing that jumps out.

Any thoughts on Perle? I haven’t been.

Union post-Bruce Kalman? I haven’t been back for so long…

1 Like

My NJ-born and raised ex-wife and I thought it was really good. The owner was an east coast native and a great guy. He expanded too fast into adjoining units with a wine bar, etc., and just couldn’t sustain it.

2 Likes

I went a couple times when they opened and enjoyed it. Perle was my first thought of a solid addition to the area.

Haven’t been to Bar Chelou but I always had a good time at Bar Restaurant

2 Likes

Perle is fine for a neighborhood spot but I would not recommend someone drive in 30+ minutes for it.

5 Likes

Like what?

Louis, Steve’s, Pitburger, Jim’s…these are pretty ubiquitous in certain areas of So Cal.

2 Likes

Since that little shop in Santa Monica closed several years back, I don’t know of a single place in LA that has an edible croissant. It’s all been bready, improperly prepared junk.

1 Like

Pizza. Desperately. Except for the occasional trip into LA or OC, we haven’t had even decent pizza nor Italian food since we left the NJ/NY area. We’ve had some great Italian and pies in LA for sure. But near Rancho Cucamonga? It’s all fast food or a bizarre Americanized focaccia.

3 Likes

What kind of pizza are you looking for out that way?

There are a few neighborhood joints we used to frequent when we lived out that way. But if you are looking for Neopolitan, I don’t think it’s moved out that way quite yet.

Red Devil and San Biagio’s usually worked for us. But it’s been quite some time since we lived out that way so not sure if things remain the same.

2 Likes

Is there any better option than Perle in the area?

Closer than LA:

The food at Perle was solid — Petit Trois level. Long meal, no complaints.

In Alhambra where I live, we need a good American diner better Mexican and Italian options. Of course the Asian food here is incredible, but sometimes you want western comfort food.

4 Likes

I just checked, and Rod’s Diner (in Arcadia) apparently closed last year. That might’ve fit the bill for a good American diner (although still not in Alhambra).

2 Likes