Which restaurant concepts are not currently in LA, but you would like to see open?

What does pp usually run for ttt?

Appetizing places like Russ n Daughters.
Bacon egg and cheese on rolls for <$5 @Ns1.
Neighborhood red sauce Italian places that aren’t on the higher end. Cosa Buona ish but with chicken rolls, shrimp parm,

4 Likes

I thought we were already awash with red sauce joints… Donna’s, Spina, La Dolce Vita, not to mention old standbys like Guido’s, Peppone and Vito.

Haha not in the OC. I would consider those more high end. Was thinking along the lines of a place we grew up near - Fresh Meadows Pizzeria. Pizza place with a restaurant attached to it.

2 Likes

Which seems so weird b/c we have SO MUCH great mid-level (or upper mid-level) stuff here. Although we had crappy Italian and pizza for so long, so… Where’s the Evan Funke or Travis Lett for Spanish food???

3 Likes

Don’t want to be the “Actually” guy but actually…Midnight Diner cooks whatever you want as long as he has the ingredients or if you bring him the ingredients. But i could go for a place that the chef just cooks whatever he wants and people just eat what he serves.

5 Likes

I’m so with you on the ramen. I was so excited when Nagi opened here, only to find out they weren’t serving their niboshi/sardine-based broth, only pork! I could’ve sworn the location I went to in Shinjuku only had niboshi.

I really appreciate Iki for their shio and shoyu although their tonkotsu is one of the better ones, too.

re: yakitori - Is yakitori-ya still open? That’s prob the closest to higher end omakase we had.

5 Likes

Place Yuu on Sawtelle (circa early 2000s) was that place. These days, Gozen Bistro does a nihonryori tasting menu which kinda resembles an izakaya omakase.

2 Likes

Midnight Diner could not open in LA. No smoking and no drinking past 2am unless you are in Ktown somewhere where rules are meant to be broken.

1 Like

I’ve been watching José Andres and his daughters touring Spain on CNN, as well as a few other shows, and salivating over the idea of ‘real’ tapas places…… not just a few items as I find when I menu-check. My choices are further limited by wanting to stay in South OC/CA, but it really seems to be something lacking here.

Waffle House! Scattered, smothered, covered and chunked for the 3am win

3 Likes

Maybe I’m in the minority but I like Cracker Barrel over Waffle House

1 Like

Fresh off a trip to Japan:

• Affordable mega conveyer belt sushi restaurants
2 Likes

That sounds great.

What makes a conveyor belt place “mega?”

1 Like

In the Bronx, and certain parts of Brooklyn/Queens you can get a bacon egg cheese on a roll with a Arizona for $6-$7.

6 Likes

A dai pai Dong or another outfit that does really quick canto style stir fry’s mixed with beer and drinking.

A true foodhall that sells both amazing eats and produce. Gcm is kinda close but I feel like most of the restos come up a little short there.

4 Likes

IMO Philadelphia is such a great food town. It will obviously never be NYC and LA but Philadelphia punches above its weight for a city of that size.

I think it’s the second best after NYC on the east coast.

The hoagies, cheesesteaks, and roast pork. The best of those also uses really great bread from local South Philly Italian bakeries. It has to be one of the best sandwich towns in the country.

Fairly diverse Southeast Asian options as well. With a weekend outdoor market at FDR park every summer. Cambodian, Vietnamese, and Indonesian.

The best tacos on the east coast are South Philly Barbacoa.

Angelo’s Pizzeria at 9th and Fitzwater could go down as an east coast classic like Katz and Frank Pepe.

Wawa gas stations would be cool to have here.

5 Likes

Michelin places that are actually open for lunch. Trying to find a higher end restaurant that has a lunch service in LA is remarkably difficult.

3 Likes

Georgian food. Eastern European Georgia not Southeastern Conference Georgia.

6 Likes

Old school Pizza Hut from the 70s and 80s: Salad bar, Pepsi in large unbreakable semi-clear plastic tumblers with granulated ice. A server who’d bring the piping hot pie to your table, cut the first slice, and put it on your plate… #LostInTheReverie

8 Likes