Which restaurant concepts are not currently in LA, but you would like to see open?

This could be a fun thread… What restaurant concepts do you wish would open in our fine city that don’t exist yet?

Mine is a high end yakitori omakase, similar to the ones in Japan & N.Y.

Let’s hear what you got!

7 Likes

More raw bar type spots utilizing local seafood. Was pretty obsessed with this spot called Dory’s in Margate, UK of all places. Just local random seafood, mostly raw.

3 Likes

Have you had Kono in NYC?

2 Likes

I haven’t, but I really want to

1 Like

Better chaat places

Better high-end / Michelin-style dining

3 Likes

I don’t know what the concept would be called (highish-end Spanish tapas?), but I ate at place called Barrafina in London and would (edit: love) to see that kind of cooking and seating (open kitchen w/ a good amt of bar seating) here.

5 Likes

anything from major food group.

4 Likes

I would also love to see more specialty non-tonkotsu type ramen shops

and a restaurant from Chef Michael Solomonov

10 Likes

I feel like that type of dining would do so well here but no one has been able to crack the code

2 Likes

Cracker Barrel.

6 Likes

Outdoor restaurants! For a city with almost perfect weather, there are too few places like Salazar (food sucks now unfortunately).

Given the amount of great seafood in the Santa Barbara channel (or in Baja for that matter) I’m always surprised that local seafood - spiny lobster, ridgebacks, kinki, rock crab etc - isn’t more prominent, whether in restaurants or markets. Supply issue?

Kinda shocked there’s not a Rory’s Place type restaurant here. Maybe that’s All Time, but I find that place corny and aggressively white if that makes sense. Is it an economic thing?

More Caribbean food would be nice. Spanish food too, though I think the format and economics make what’s so charming about eating in Spain hard here.

I don’t disagree. Are you not a fan of the Bestiaplex though? Family member worked for Solomonov so I’m biased.

Waffle House is the right answer lol.

7 Likes

Shit you are right, I wish to recast my vote as Waffle House.

Although Bojangles as a close second.

6 Likes

Man I regret not having Zahav or Laser Wolf.

It would never work here in So Cal but I really miss NYC deli’s. I cry at the late night options that are non-taco stand….Norms and Del? While you can walk into a deli in NYC and grab a good sandwich, snacks, bev, fresh fruit, etc.

4 Likes

Try to Get to one of Dylan Ho’s ToriToreTory dinners in the mean time , heard he maybe cutting back in 2024

5 Likes

Lol. One of the only redeeming reasons for my daughter going to school in Philadelphia. Her Place and the Vetri and Vernick restaurants aren’t bad either.

2 Likes

Seems like we have a few on the way. Aitor coming back with Somni, Dave Beran trying to open a Dialogue replacement, Eater just did a write up on Jônt coming from DC, and isn’t Jose Andres working on something?

It seems financially impossible to do in LA, but some of my favorite places to eat are small little spots where a chef or two are just preparing whatever they want based on whatever arrived in the kitchen that day. No menu, just show up and eat (and drink).

3 Likes

Oooh this 100%. Like midnight diner vibes. Small bar only kitchen that seats 8 people max and serves whatever the chef wants that day :star_struck:

4 Likes

Shoya in Lomita has similar ish vibes.

2 Likes

White Castle

3 Likes

Can we have cheap NY style breakfasts. Can’t do these $15 breakfast burritos no more.

4 Likes