Which restaurant concepts are not currently in LA, but you would like to see open?

I was just in southern France and the stuffed vegetables I saw were filled with meat. Give me Georgian vegetables filled with vegetables and walnuts, please.

2 Likes

There’s also a paucity of Greek places here. Turkish as well.

2 Likes

Southern French uses mostly the same ingredients as Greek and Turkish, but the flavors are quite different.

2 Likes

Bring Raku back!

9 Likes

And Robata ya with yukata-wearing chefs wielding those long paddles. So fun and delicious.

And a tempura bar better than I-Naba but not as fancy as that place that was in Beverly Hills.

3 Likes

Yeah - these definitely scratch the itch but I do wish we had maybe less organized night markets and more of someone setting up shop on a corner to sell a new concept. In Highland Park near N Figueroa & York in front of the 99 Cent Store/Penny’s Burger, there’s an increasing presence of street vendors. I almost exclusively go for Taqueria la Guera, but there’s a Street Pasta spot, and a Barbacoa spot there too. Would love to see a Chinese Auntie start slinging street potstickers while I’m driving and just stopping by to check it out

Good callout, gonna bookmark. Their website indicates that its a tasting menu only which does make it more a commitment. I’d be interested in more a la carte options (but also understand how unscalable and how difficult the operations for that might be).

A model of a good a la carte option that I would love to see compete with F& Bar would be a bar I visited in central Taiwan called Taichung. The bar is Vender Bar and they’re ran by Singaporean expats who are basically trying to transform Singaporean and Malaysian food into cocktails. To complete the taste of the food they’re recreating, one part of the experience is the cocktail itself, and the other half is some snack element that completes the picture.

Their menu

• is a wooden chest matrix that has a smell profile to for you to preview what the cocktail would smell like
  • On the outside folds of the chest are the cocktails and a visualization of how acidic/sweet/alcoholic the drink would be

Nyonya Curry Cocktail

• Gin based infused with a lot of coriander and lemongrass, kinda tastes like a really good gin based salsa verde margarita. To complete the curry taste, there’s a curry puff that’s dusted with the typical warm spices - star anise, cumin, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, curry leaves that makes it super savory and gives you the sensation of eating the curry rice dish.

Coconut-washed Kaya Toast W/ Shortbread & Pandan Cream

• Wonderful coconut milk washed rum that’s slightly bubbly with some champagne.
  • Buttery cookie with a super creamy pandan cream brings in the texture of a good kaya toast

The dish is called Petit Farcis and I was expecting sausage in the versions I had but couldn’t detect any! Still incredibly delicious though

Also an awesome squash blossom beignet with a simple tomato sauce to just enjoy the excellent produce quality

6 Likes

I’ve realized what I actually want are more spots that don’t take reservations. For instance, I hit Barra Santos often! Good food that I can get whenever I want!

Maybe that’s the wine bar model, maybe it’s just a straight up no reservation wait if you want go elsewhere if you don’t spot. I loved being able to roll up to Lasita on a Saturday at 730 and just wait an hour and get in. Now I go way less bc I don’t wanna book two weeks out!

What are the good no resy spots?

2 Likes

Colapasta in Santa Monica doesn’t take reservations.

1 Like

I would like high end tasting menu restaurants that I can go to dressed in a t-shirt and shorts. Sort of an oxymoron, yes…

You can do that at hayato, providence or Kato or any of the sushi places. I’m not aware of any dress restrictions at almost any dining establishment in LA

5 Likes

I do love Colapasta! Though as a NELAer (is that the right acronoym) it is rare that I make it over that far.

1 Like

+100, though a friend of mine in Texas said she went to a Bojangles and they did not have any bone in chicken. What? I mean, not on the menu.

Btw, cracker Barrel opened up in Camarillo near the outlets.

On another note. Because I’m so classy, I would love to have white castle here. To me no better concept than a place where you buy one-bite steamed burgers by the dozen.

EDIT: I just had to look up her Bojangles claim. I don’t know why I did not do this months ago but look at this article.

Bojangles signals a move away from traditional bone-in chicken at some locations

https://amp.newsobserver.com/living/food-drink/article276701411.html

2 Likes

In Vegas right now and Raku was the first stop :smiling_face_with_tear:

7 Likes

Dying to try their chicken-centric restaurant there.

You are right. But I think I would feel very out of place wearing, essentially, gym clothes, at Providence, Manzke, etc. Perhaps I am just not confident enough…

I have worn sweatpants to hayato and manzke. You can do it!

3 Likes

#Balenciaga

lol

1 Like

more robust Vietnamese in LA.

8 Likes

I agree. I love a well-done Shoyu. I just had the pork/chicken/fish shoyu at Josui and loved it.

Kashiwa does a chicken-based broth, but it is pretty rich like tonkotsu.

That was last night for us! We probably liked the OG Raku better, but they had some good dishes at Toridokoro and very little overlap. Fried tofu with paitan soup is a nice variation and I saw a fried and grilled tofu that looked interesting. I like the variety of non-meat skewers more than Raku too. Onion melts in your mouth. Also have some seafood specials, but they can get pricey, scallop with skirt and innards grilled and finished in the shell with butter and sake was worth the $21

k

7 Likes