Who has the best charcuterie plates in town?

I can’t be the only person that immediately thought of Colin the Chicken.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure their sourcing is as good as it gets.

I’m pretty sure you don’t want restaurant recommendations from Fred Armisen.

1 Like

See, that’s why I said I have a hard time asking those questions in restaurants, and rarely bring it up on this board. The term shooting-fish-in-barrel is immediately what I thought of. :wink:

1 Like

Generally, the most flavorful pork, heritage breeds, sustainability, and humane practices come as a package deal.

1 Like

Do they use heritage breeds? I didn’t see that.

Been mentioned in articles about the place.

1 Like

Sorry @Bookwich. I meant fish-in-a-barrel (an easy target) not crabs which has a totally different meaning. Comeback fail of the day. Who knew?

Nothing about it on the website as far as I know, but Ori Menashe has a page about how Bestia obtains its pork for curing in his cookbook. They use pasture raised, non-GMO Red Wattle pigs which are butchered at the restaurant. He is a big nose to tail advocate, and he doesn’t say so directly, but I am sure he is dedicated to humanely raised animals.

1 Like

i’m sure the cook pigs ranch pork at cassia grew up with a nanny, went to private school and had weekly mani-pedis.

2 Likes

Was talking to the head Butcher of Gwen yesterday at the lamb event at JKI And i know he cares very deeply about sourcing. They bring in all sorts of specialty breeds for the Butcher shop and restaurant. They cure in house as well.

3 Likes

Ahhh… thanks @ebethsdad. More places should highlight this. I’m probably not the only one who hates asking and just gives it a pass.

1 Like

Okay, then I can eat them. :blush:

2 Likes

And for us Douglas Adams fans, there’s this from “The Restaurant at the End of the Universe” (the “meat” of which starts at 1:12):

5 Likes

Although I probably love the radio version best!

3 Likes

Oh stop it.

1 Like

Any new charcuterie contenders?

Cassia is not doing it at the moment.

agnes

I don’t think they’re making the charcuterie.

I really enjoyed the charcuterie plate we had at Gwen last week. We’ve had their charcuterie in the past and think it’s a must order.

Sorry for the hard to see detail as the lighting was rough, but clockwise from the left back:

Lamb pate
[forgot this one but it was a white wine sausage - lovely)
Pickles
Nduja
Guanciale
Duck sausage

They also provide pretty darn good baked bread with it.

3 Likes