WSGV updates

That was my 2nd choice for Sam Woo! Nothing beats the OG in Alhambra

In other news 626 Night Market opened on the 10th

2 Likes

i think this was one of the ones liquidated as a consequence of the tax evasion thing. one of the two still needs to pony up some serious dough to shorten his jail term.

Major changes in the San Gabriel Hilton adjacent shopping center. Chang’an, the Chinese gastropub is being replaced by something called Tang Dynasty. Meanwhile, downstairs Shan Dong Dumplings is gone, half the space replaced by a branch of Yomie’s Rice & Yogurt and the other half being prepared for something called Dim Shui.

FWIW, the pasadena location has also shuttered.

tai chi?

1 Like

Tams Noodle House I think I am going to hit this up while I am back in town. It might be better than Noodle Boy based on the looks and reviews I read

2 Likes

Do it, JKB. And get the #79, for crying out loud…

2 Likes

I concur with #79 with beef and wontons. I also have a weakness for the salted egg yolk chicken wings.

1 Like

i suspect tam’s will fill the niche created by the closing of noodle boy. but noodle boy’s prices were maybe only $1.50-2.00 more than those of their competitors. the very very good wonton mien with brisket at tam’s runs $12.50 plus tax while harlam’s kitchen’s wonton mien with beef stew is $8.50. those on a budget may still favor harlam’s.

Embassy Kitchen is reopening.

I arrived just as they were closing and did not get a chance to order any food… However, several of their signature dishes are not listed in their soft-opening menu which bears two new phone numbers.

3 Likes

i wonder who’s in the kitchen; i understand the place closed because the chef was packing it in.

maybe it’s a toisan thing, but i missed the steamed minced pork with sausages the most.

Yes, who’s in the kitchen is the $64 question. Closure was due to a planned shopping center development on the site, and the old owner-chef didn’t want to bother to start from scratch at a new location, so if the property has been re-leased maybe that development is dead. The owner-chef did pop up at Ocean Bo in El Monte at dinnertime, so the Ocean Bo dinner menu looks a bit like the old Embassy Kitchen, including the pressed chicken, tilapia rolls and stuffed duck. However the pandemic hit weeks later before we got a chance to check it out. We did finally drop by Ocean Bo last week at lunch time, and they still have the dinner menu we saw last year. Also, as you may recall, the titular head chef at Embassy (not the gray haired owner-chef) opened up his own operation in Diamond Bar a while back, but that was a fast and casual operation. So the question is which, if either of the two, is behind the reopening. Can’t wait to find out.

3 Likes

sighted at the former location of king hua:

looking for info, i find that @chandavkl tweeted this a while back.

New owner and chefs with similar menu at Embassy Kitchen so I presume the new owner was able to buy the recipes too. A couple of the dishes were well executed and a couple were not. The old Embassy Kitchen had a number of dishes unique to the SGV so just having those dishes again is a big plus. However at its price point that would have to be the main attraction.

1 Like

What’s the food delivery app locals use in SGV? Does it go to OC? I’ll be caregiving at home for 5-6 days so I can’t leave to go very far. Is said delivery app better than the mainstream ones as far as not screwing with restaurants $$$? TIA

I think a lot of Chinese restaurants are using Chowbus and Fantuan. I’ve seen them outside of J Zhou and Earthen in the last 6 months.

Not sure about screwing the restaurants less with fees but I hope so.

1 Like

new england fish & chips at the corner of main & marengo in alhambra - the only place around here you could fish/chips OR taiwanese food - closed last month.

tonyc gave them a memorial RIP on yelp.

“The only Fish and Chips slash Taiwanese family meal restaurant in SoCal has shuttered due to lease termination: rest in grace New England Fish & Chips, Alhambra. Thank you for serving the desperate community through the pandemic. Rest in power.”

6 Likes

Confirming that the old chef that made Embassy Kitchen so great is indeed now doing dinner at Ocean Bo in El Monte. The menu is truncated with a handful of the order in advance dishes included and few of the dishes that were on the Chinese only menu. However they are able to make many of those dishes on request. I’d say some of the flavors are not as subtle as before. My guess is that due to a lower price point at Ocean Bo they had to substitute out some of the more refined ingredients.

9 Likes

Also there is allot of Chiu Chow dishes on the menu

3 Likes

Is ocean bo worth a drive to El Monte? Or is it comparable to Cantonese food in Alhambra and monterey park area?

1 Like

a friend just dined at embassy kitchen and said while many of the dishes remain, the execution isn’t quite as good as with the old chef. I tipped them off to Ocean Bo to try.