WSGV updates

apparently jasmine house in alhambra shuttered last year. i hadn’t noticed because of the pandemic but it got brought to my attention when i recommended the place and then was informed that the place had closed. pity. i really liked their pork chops with spicy salt.

Old Beijing Pie House location in Alhambra turning into pho restaurant.

Two changes in progress on Baldwin Ave. in Arcadia. Shawn Cafe, the Taiwanese restaurant is being replaced by Myung Ga Korean Restaurant. And Lao Xi Noodle is setting up a second branch in the Cindy’s Noodleland Location.

2 Likes

interesting. but technically it would be the third; wifey’s in-laws run noodle palace in rosemead and wifey preps a lot of their dishes (i saw her come in while i was eating there when they first opened. she recognized me and said hello). i wonder who would be running the new place.

and cindy’s noodleland is/was a derivative of liang’s kitchen in MP - same menus, different name. so it’s back to just liang’s kitchen. i hope they’re still there! haven’t been since the pandemic started.

1 Like

I’m guessing that with the two Lai Xi restaurants and Noodle Palace having different owners and different names any relationship between the two is loose.

1 Like

i find it odd that they don’t have the same name, but i’m pretty sure that the wife is or at least was doing some of the cooking at both locations. one of the house special dishes featuring a mixture of tomato egg & fried pork had the sauces sitting in buffet trays (one tray with just the tomato & egg, and the other the fried pork, and a third tray containing a vegetarian version) from which we had to serve ourselves. that suggests a relationship a little tighter than loose to me, especially because the older lady who seated us that i assume was the mother-in-law couldn’t identify which sauce was which.

1 Like

At one time, Northern Chinese Cuisine in Focus Plaza was a third outlet of Liang’s/Cindy’s Noodleland. They even had the same menu, which mentioned the other two locations. I don’t know if that is true any longer with the San Gabriel location.

2 Likes

yes you are correct there was a third outlet at focus plaza - and i have a pic of the san gabriel menu which listed the arcadia location (which i found totally amusing)! this would have been back in 2017.

they closed so long ago yelp no longer has a page for that location, which is why it was my take that the ‘original’ liang’s was now the only one left - which it is in both ways, when it was franchised with locations elsewhere in the state and when the MP owner abandoned the franchise menu somewhere around 2015. i found the cindy’s noodle land locations (at both places) to be inferior in food quality compared to liang’s.

ten years ago it was maybe kam hong garden, omar, dow shaw/heavy noodling II at the JYTH plaza that were the only really good noodle places. a number of places have come and gone while those places remain. though IIRC heavy noodling opened an outlet in RH a while back that didn’t pan out. the newer shaanxi places (except for xian tasty, RIP) haven’t done it for me, though i haven’t tried noodle art yet.

i’ve had maybe 4-6 food outings to new places in the SGV since the inception of the pandemic: mexicali taco, tam’s noodle station, meet qin noodle, tianjian feng wei now ace burger, medan kitchen, five stars hue, el matador which replaced the second branch of mijare’s in pasadena… that’s about it. and half of them were take out. sigh

1 Like

I think it was first called Northern Chinese Cuisine, then the name flipped to Cindy’s Noodle Land, then went back to Northern Chinese Cuisine. I don’t think Yelp removes the profiles of defunct businesses, and I believe what happened is that all the reviews for the regime, including the Cindy’s Noodle Land era, are listed under Northern Chinese Cuisine, which I think is still in operation.

Northern Chinese Cuisine was open when I went by Wednesday (Sept. 15th). My second visit to the SGV since the pandemic, both this month.

so they’re open as NCC? that intelligence had passed me by.

Yes, they are. I have no idea if there is any relation, direct or indirect, to Liang’s though. That’s what I didn’t quite convey in my original post.

Anywhere in Alhambra/San Gabriel that would be good for 5 people to eat lunch outside after going to the Huntington?

1 Like

5 Stars Hue (Alhambra) has a covered patio/walkaway area that’s outside.

5 Likes

Yang’s Kitchen has outside dining in the back

3 Likes

i think tam’s noodle house still offers outdoor seating. it can’t be more than 10 minutes away from the huntington at san gabriel & las tunas.

2 Likes

Delicious Chengdu has a covered patio in the rear. Food is excellent
9679 Las Tunas, Temple City.

3 Likes

This may have been mentioned upthread, but I’m having tech issues and search isn’t working for me.

Anyway:

In the biggest return from the dead yet the original Jazz Cat Cafe in San Gabriel has reopened in remodeled quarters.

1 Like

I passed by Delicious Chengdu yesterday and I noticed they have a new name on a banner. It is Dumpling (something) I was driving too fast to get the full name. Are these new owners?