Y'all famous. LAT piece on CH vs. FTC is out

I’ll be more active on that board here once I’m back home in November.

@linus @Ns1
Both of you have been missed - welcome aboard.

1 Like

@trojans - actually, WE went to the LA Times to find YOU!

5 Likes

Glad I found this on the CH forums… via the LAT article too. I didn’t post much, but my earliest post on CH was from 9 years ago, so I’ve been reading CH for at least that long. FTC reminds me of the active community of CH. So glad to be reading here!

4 Likes

Yep. We were just in our soft opening phase. :wink:

–Dommy!

2 Likes

L.A. Times article also picked up by the Seattle Times. http://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/foodies-website-chowhound-sees-exodus-after-redesign/

2 Likes

betcha finally regret going to University of Spoiled Children…

Or not.

hahahaha.

And now the Boston Globe has its own story (not the LAT one)

4 Likes

Jim Leff seems to have had a personality transplant in the Boston Globe article vs. the LAT (and his own posts on CH). I presume he got no end of well-deserved flak for his inane and mean-spirited comments in the LAT piece.

3 Likes

His posts over the past few weeks have been quite different from what I’d thought he felt about CH. One comment I found ‘unique’ was calling what CH has done to alienate users “a winnowing practice every worthwhile online forum applies (with enormous human effort)”. He may well be correct. I think I made the comment, somewhere earlier, that what CH has done reminds me of what Food Network did to itself, one would assume, in the name of increasing audience numbers and revenue. I think we’ve all come to see that chowhounds are just not big business. He seems to agree that HOW CBSi went about the changes was wrong, but the change was inevitable and that people shouldn’t wish them too much ill will because the board archives will disappear if the site does.

2 Likes

I had exactly the same thought when I read the two pieces.

What do you want him to do? Admit the site sold out and is looking for quantity over quality?

The ironic part of his statement is that CH is the one catering to the Olive Garden set.

But hey, money talks.

Why not if he has no current interest?

Nothing, other than to quite talking out of his ass – and one of those two quotes is out of his ass, because they simply cannot both be true.

It’s either a miasma of inflexibility or it’s a great thing to winnow out the weak and incapable.

It can’t be both.

1 Like

Do we know he has no interest at stake?

His stake could come in the form of royalties, pride, etc.

His lashing out is an indication he does have something at stake still.

1 Like

Or maybe options or warrants in CBS stock?

2 Likes

That’s certainly my presumption.

the man should’ve stopped talking about CH a long, long time ago.

but he can’t help himself. just like we can’t but help ourselves to the unlimited bread sticks at Olive Garden.

7 Likes

that was kind my thought over the years – he’d be very fast to step up and talk about how the site should be run from a financial standpoint. I realize that this is kinda like telling the emperor that his bare ass is sticking out, but dude, if you were all that swift about the financial standpoint, you wouldn’t have had to sell it to keep it from disappearing.