Yangban Society

Interesting. I enjoyed 1.0 and never made it to 2.0. 3.0 doesn’t look quite as refined as somewhere like Atomix and I’d love if there was a spot like that in LA.

Who is their investor paying for all these build outs?!?

1 Like

maybe 2024 might see something close to atomix but not quite as high end

1 Like

Yess just announced tasting menu only too!

Is 2.0 the same is the now reopened 3.0? Looks like a lot of the menu items are the same at least online?

it seemed almost completely new (but I only did 2.0, 1.0 times).

I noticed only the wings being carried over, but perhaps there are more

1 Like

I went late 2.0 (2.9?) and the menu is mostly different than 3.0. the big loss is the soondae, hopefully they bring that back.

6 Likes

Netflix is opening an immersive experience in Los Angeles called Squid Game: The Trials, combining a live high-intensity competition for participants, as well a “Night Market” offering Korean food, drinks, a Squid Game store and photo-ops. Chef Katianna Hong, of the Korean-Americana restaurant YANGBAN, is curating the food and beverage offerings.

The experience will open at the Television City complex Dec. 6, with tickets opening up for purchase on Oct. 11. Tickets will start at $39, with the experience operating Wednesdays through Sundays.

3 Likes

Ok we thought everything was fantastic. Had to get the wings because it’s our first time but I’ll skip next time .

Loved the fish and the crab tostada … probably don’t need prawn toast and short rib is completely mind blowing

Slowdive for dessert

7 Likes
3 Likes

I’m liking everything I’ve had here recently. blue crab tostada, prawn toast, and lobster congee pot pie are very good.

@rlw power rankings forthcoming?

squashini jeon, whipped crème fraiche, trout roe

blue crab tostada, gochujang, perilla, red leaf lettuce, crème fraiche, masienda tortilla

hot smoked trout schmear, griddled potato bread, dill, chive, fresh horseradish

golden prawn toast, ama ebi, brown butter, yangban makgeolli, golden sauce, cherry tomato, cured egg yolk

wagyu stuffed perilla leaf, vermicelli, beef fat tare, cotija

matzoh ball mandu, stuffed with grandma sindy’s matzoh ball, chicken broth, shmaltz

lobster congee pot pie, poached lobster tail, fine herbs, marigold, lobster brown butter

gochujang braised black cod, joseon radish, rice cake, kabocha squash, sylvetta arugula

garlic butter black rice

matang goguma custard pie, roasted white sweet potato, condensed milk, vanilla, burnt sugar

14 Likes

Wow, i think I’m going to have to get over there.

1 Like

What the heck, where was the lobster congee pot pie on the two visits I had with you!?

2 Likes

We were there last night and loved the place! Wonderful inventive food and great flavours. I loved how restrained and delicate some of the dishes were.

3 Likes

What an evolution this place has undergone. Looks like I definitely need to go back for v3.0

2 Likes

Man is it me or does that mandu look like a booty?

Also the food looks great!

3 Likes

Did somebody work for Michael Mina?

The restaurant used to have a chicken congee pot pie and then an abalone congee pot pie. The Hongs started serving lobster claws as an appetizer and wanted to find the best way to use the rest of each lobster, so they ended up with a lobster-tail congee pot pie.

2 Likes

I didn’t have nearly the number of dishes you did :sweat_smile: but did get the Dine LA menu (with upgrades of course) and a side order of banchan.

This is what, Yangban 3.0 now? Whatever iteration it is, it’s by far my favorite version so far!

Golden Prawn Toast :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

This is what this city has been missing.

Green Tea Leaf Salad :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Tea leaf salad is my favorite salad of all time and at first I was a bit worried if this would come out alright since you don’t see much Burmese food in LA, but this was a banger. Executed just as well as some of my favorites in SF.

Banchan (Honey Glazed Carrots, Brokaw Avocado & Shinko Pear, Grilled Cucumber, Steamed Broccoli, Yangban Kimchi) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

I still ride for these carrots, but mostly these were fine. I appreciated the vegetable section, but I felt like I could have eaten all of these myself and not split them with two other people.

Tteok :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

This was heavy, but so delicious. It was best split up between people because of its richness.

Grilled King’s Cut Short Rib :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:
Yangban Wings :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:
Garlic Butter Black Rice :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Short rib was probably the best meat dish I’ve had at Yangban ever. I still love how big the wings are. And the rice was actually outstanding.

I hope this version of Yangban sticks around.

And of course, power rankings:

1. Golden Prawn Toast
  2. Grilled King’s Cut Short Rib
  3. Green Tea Leaf Salad
  4. Tteok
  5. Yangban Wings
  6. Banchan
12 Likes

I’m liking everything you’ve had too.

6 Likes