Yoshino New York

one of only a couple master sergios that I know of to leave japan and open up in the states.

top three in the states for me.

highlights
kegani
ankimo
kinmedai
saba
kohada
sawara
oma tuna

kegani

tako

ankimo

uni

this was a lot of shirako

kinmedai

saba

ezgif.com-gif-maker (68)

shin ika

kohada

sawara

kegani

shin ika part 2

aged oma tuna

akami

chiaigishi chutoro, kuragake style

ezgif.com-gif-maker (69)

chutoro

ikura

torotaku

miso soup

tamago x4 gyokudari style

bonus rounds

mirugai

uni

kobashira

mango gelato

toto neorest nx1

13 Likes

that is too much shirako for me

2 Likes

I kinda hate you right now.

Both for the meal you had and your apparently effortless expert photography. Kudos to all involved.

6 Likes

So insanely jealous of you right now!! I’ve been wanting to go ever since i heard he set up shop here! Everything looks amazing.

You said top three, what are your other two and how does yoshino compare to other nyc sushi spots?

3 Likes

One of my happiest Omakase after the pandemic :two_hearts: I’m so glad you like this, too!!!

1 Like

Shut up!

2 Likes

my other top two are sushi sho and yoshizumi.

i haven’t been to nyc since the bromakse boom so my other nyc spots are outdated, but i liked it better than masa, ichimura at brushstroke, nakazawa, 15 east, yasuda. didn’t have time to make it to noz and noz 17 on this trip, have you been?

4 Likes

Ooh interesting! I’m guessing you like edomae style :slight_smile: of the ones you listed I’ve been to nakazawa, 15 East and yasuda (but takeout so doesnt count). I like naka better than 15 East and noz much more than all of them. Their rice is fantastic.

We got the takeout box from sushi sho while we were at Waikiki but unfortunately did not really like it… not sure if that was just the takeout or me not really vibing with their take on edomae style or both.

2 Likes

four stars from the nyt

1 Like

First 4* review from the NYT since 2015. Wow.

4 Likes

Pete Wells says on his top 10 restaurants of the year article
We could argue about when exactly it happened, but I don’t think there can be any doubt that New York is now the most important city for sushi outside Japan. This must have seemed obvious to Tadashi Yoshida when he gave up his acclaimed sushi-ya in Nagoya to start over in Manhattan.

4 Likes