2022 Thai Town update?

Jitlada remains my favorite by a wide margin. I eat there with the expectation that it is going to blow my senses away, and boy does it ever. I’m not going to claim it is most refined or anything. It’s generally too spicy for Peony.

What are your go-to dishes at Jitlada? I’ve only been once a few years ago and didn’t have the best experience. Suspecting I ordered the wrong things, I wanna go back but with a better plan of attack.

Separately, past 3 bites I had in Thai Town were great

Pa Ord Noodle - I assume the original since there’s no number next to it on Google Maps

Crispy catfish, stir fried curry. LOVED this dish, bones were pretty minimal (usually just a center piece in cross-section). I think Boran Thai makes a similar dish, and I’d be interested in knowing if there are other places other FTCers have been to that were notable and worth going to.

Amphai/Northern Thai Food Club

The Khao Soi that ruined all other Khao Sois for me. This dish was always “OK/fine” to me, but NTFC was definitely the first place that made me genuinely enjoy the dish. Also looking for tips of other Khao Soi places worth checking out

Their Papaya salad was probably the most intense I’ve ever tasted. There was a certain darkness and dankness that came from what I believe are smoked and fermented fish that’s pounded into the sauce. Definitely delicious, but hard for me to commit to eating the whole portion compared to other less intense/more refreshing interpretations in the city.

re: Luv2Eat

• No photos, but can confirm the Moo Ping – BBQ Pork Skewers & Fried Chicken are still delicious. I definitely lack the dexterity/finesse to eat the Southern Style Crab Curry. Delicious yes, but I’m an unskilled eater :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • Definitely not the best Thai Food I’ve had, but still very competent, and its biggest strength is its location/proxmity to nightlife in WeHo (barhopping, Sound Nightclub).

Bhan Kanom Thai Desserts

Kanom Krok - essentially coconut creme brulees/cramelized coconut cream. Shatteringly crispy exterior leads to a gummy and chewy mantle which leads to a molten, coconut ganache core [not technically correct, but the closest analogy I can think of]

Absolutely incredible, even better when freshly made. Unforunately, most of the times I’ve been here they’ve been sitting around for at least a few hours. Still good and heats up very well in an air-fryer, but a very different experience from going to Mae Ting’s in Chinatown, where they are made to order.

11 Likes

Not in Thai Town, but I really like the one at Chiang Mai in Valley Village.

3 Likes

pailin

4 Likes

They no longer have an ice cream bar :frowning:

Chang Rai if you are around Long Beach does a great KS

3 Likes

Pailin may be closed… It’s been gated up and locked the last two times I tried, twice in the last 3 weeks.

2 Likes

nom_life on IG has a post about Thai Town night market on Mon/Tue night

4 Likes

Yeah that just came on my radar too. Across from Siam Sunset outside the 99cent store.

5 Likes

Thai friend says they take their vacation this time of year. Will keep :crossed_fingers:.

2 Likes

Appreciate the info!

Twitter thread covering different vendors at the Mon/Tue night market:

https://twitter.com/Quincetessence/status/1557219155769561088

6 Likes

Wow that’s pretty extensive

2 Likes

Pailin as mentioned above (god I hope it’s not closed) and Sri Siam in the Valley

2 Likes

Wonderful papaya salad from Northern Thai Food Club
/Amphai after a nice stroll through rainy East Hollywood.

7 Likes

eater piece. I’m just curious how long they spend each night setting up/breaking down - their setup looks huge.

3 Likes

Hell yeah! Happy for them.

They’ve added Pad Kra Pao–anyone know if you can get it with tofu?

2 Likes

Pad Kra Pao report - bigtime downhill at Sanamluang Cafe. No holy basil/thai basil to speak of, no balance. Will continue to perfect at home! Rad Nah Silom is next up.

5 Likes

Nooo sanamluang was one of my favorite late night spots back in the day

I gave up on it years ago. Too greasy.

2 Likes