Baroo - Arts District

baroo replaces needle on the list.

6 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2lXn4ovJAb/

aaaand it’s sold out

Anyone know if the menu has changed since the opening one? (Other than using skate instead of soft shell crab)

1 Like

excellent collab between baroo and mingles. nothing but hits, the chicken was my bite of the night. it was a play on samgye-tang and korean fried chicken, the roulade was juicy with a crispy exterior to remind you of fried chicken and the creamy risotto acted as the comforting samgye-tang, brilliant. a two star dish.

shoutout to the the non-alcoholic pairing which was also great.

review forthcoming @Bagel @boourns?

strawberry, sancho, astrea caviar

squash blossom, rice cake

photo credit to @Bagel

beef tartare tart with maesil

scallop, endive, black sesame, gooseberry

sole, parae, gim gochunaengi, ssam

wild black cod, dongchimi, green papaya, buttermilk

ginseng chicken roulade, samgye, risotto, black truffle

jang trio - doenjang creme brulee, ganjang pecan, gochujang puff

after-dinner dinner

farm cheese - borage za’atar, savory, olive oil, black sesame buckwheat toast

chicken liver pate - honey pomegranate reduction, tarragon, pickled blueberry, urfa, black sesame buckwheat toast

baba ghanoush - smoked eggplant & butternut squash, sheep’s milk, urfa, dukkah, marjoram, fried pita

hummus duck 'nduja - tahini, parsley, cilantro, sumac, pita

grilled prawns - harissa marinade, cured zucchini & cucumber tzatziki, fresh herbs, lime

grilled celery root - honey mushroom tzatziki, brown butter, burnt harissa, soft herbs

oyster mushroom kebab - lovage & avocado purée, sumac, meyer lemon, cilantro

9 Likes

Sounds like a great dish. Lots of wisdom. If only HanWoo beef were available here, that would be extra worth the journey to DTLA.

Also sounds really good. What’s on top?

Really interesting use of savory in dessert!

Baroovel :metal:

3 Likes

Chicken was my favorite of the night, beef tartare was most surprising and my next favorite. After that it’s really hard to choose as everything was :ok_hand: Strawberry was a bit of a miss for me, mostly because I think it’s too early in the season.

Bavel’s grilled celery root was new to me and a surprising hit.

Tasted a bit like this Misugaru - Korean Multi-Grain Powder Drink which was an unexpected and delicious addition

3 Likes

We loved this restaurant and have only positive things to say.

1 Like

Chicken also was my favorite of the night but I think the Jang Trio dessert was very closely behind and, for me, will likely be the most memorable dish for me. The way savory and sweetness worked here was wonderful and I couldn’t get enough of this item. While third for me was the black cod, I also want to want to point out the zucchini dish (second pic). There was a tomato consomme with it that was quite a treat!

Agree that the non-alcoholic pairing was great. Really reminded me of the Somni non-alcoholic pairing which was always a must order for me. I still can’t forget a glass that I believe used beets, reduced espresso, and burdock. What a combo!

I also had a surprise hit at Bavel but with the chicken liver pate. That pomegranate reduction was such a nice complement that I regret not having ordered it before!

3 Likes

Bothers me menu has been the same since it opened…I’d love to come back but would love a seasonal refresh

2 Likes

They did recently add a vegetarian / vegan menu. We sampled items from that menu. They were on par with the regular menu items. Really good. I was impressed they weren’t just veggie versions of the regular menu items; they were totally different dishes. The restaurant is still working to finalize the vegetarian / vegan menu.

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/C59kzakPO9n/

1 Like