Campbell Soup buy Rao's

3 Likes

I love Raos pasta sauces, but not sure if it’s good or bad that they’ve bought up by a huge company. Hopefully, they won’t change anything on a great product

1 Like

I’ve never had it. What kind of things do you use it on? Or do you use it as a base to add things to?

Lately I’ve been making my own red sauces for pasta dishes, starting with Mutti Polpa (crushed tomatoes), but our go-to jarred sauce is Rao’s Marinara. I use it as I do my own, with pastas, but will add fresh basil, grated parm, and crushed pepper as appropriate. Mezzetta is good too, but Rao’s is better IOHO and goes on sale a lot and the price at Costco is a super good deal.

3 Likes

I can’t believe the brand is worth $2.7 billion.

2 Likes

Their dry pasta is very good. I was shocked at the sticker price too.

2 Likes

I just realized that I can’t even remember the last time I used, bought or homemade, this type of product. Well, I do make Hazan’s tomato/butter/onion sauce but I freeze it in mini-muffin tins and use it in small ‘doses’ like on pizza.

2 Likes

Exactly. My sauce for under 6 dollars tastes the same . Over 30 years making and adjusting it. Bought a jar. Ok . Its good . But tweedle de tweedle doe .

1 Like

I use it for pasta and when I make pizza. The ingredient list is simple and short - very clean and it’s not loaded with sugar like many of the other bottled sauces - but it is expensive. I buy it at Grocery Outlet if they have it. They sell at Costco also - two large jars at a good price (can’t remember what it is). I used to make my own all the time, but I got lazy and use this now

2 Likes

They evaluate Rao’s at the 3:59 mark.

Also, it’s pronounced “Ray-oh”?

Same! I pick up an emergency Jar at Aldi. I like Mezetta better, I think they use superior tomatoes. But usually make my own, Bianco tomatoes, usual ingredients + red wine. And simmered slow for 2 hours. But sometimes I run out or don’t have the 2 hours. Raos to the rescue. Especially with something like frozen Raviolis.

1 Like

I looked at the ingredient list and was definitely impressed with that.

It doesn’t have to take two hours to make marinara sauce. In a pinch I can make it in the time it takes to cook the pasta. Put olive oil in pan, turn on heat, chop onion, sautĂ© onion and salt, add any herbs you want, add passata di pomodoro, simmer on low, or medium if in a hurry.

1 Like

Yes!

The actor, Frank Pellegrino, owned them until he died. You may not know the name but you probably would know the face. He played one of the heads of the FBI in the Sopranos.

I saw him years ago in a TV special, maybe Food Network, when he was preparing the seven fishes Christmas Eve dinner. And they talked about Rao’s.

Here’s a photo of Frank:

6 Likes

That man also invented mineral water too

2 Likes

Lol, yes in 1899 when he was only 18 lol

3 Likes

I posted this on HO but now realize I saw that article link here.

“ FWIW- I’m not sure which post or where I saw it but there was a link to an article where a group of chefs reviewed a bunch of jarred pasta sauces. They ranked Rao’s #2 and Mutti Marinara #1. I use Mutti Polpa and whole tomatoes a lot in my own sauces but hadn’t noticed the Marinara as it’s in the huge jarred sauce section and is barely noticeable.

Used the Mutti last night with penne, chicken and zucchini

. it was EXCELLENT!!! Certainly as good as Rao’s, if not better. Rao’s at Costco is a much better buy though.

So let Campbell’s do what it’s gonna do. I’m prepared.”

5 Likes