Chili Crisp Recommendations

Yeah, with soft serve when they were doing a promotion before release in LA. It’s good but not mind blowing. Plus, the oil:solids ratio is a little heavy on oil which wouldn’t be great if you just sopped it onto ice cream.

My issue with Fly by Jing was that it was not crisp / crunchy like the others I’ve had.

1 Like

(not my photo)

I like this. Pretty good amount of heat (surprising to me for a TJs product) and VERY crispy. I just wish it had onions/shallots in it for a bit of sweetness and that it had a neutral oil instead of olive oil.

2 Likes

agreed. the chewiness of fly by jing is one of the reasons i don’t like it as much as others.

1 Like

The extra spicy is significantly spicier but with the same good flavor. I compared the ingredients and the extra spicy version has habaneros. Everything else is the same. The original version was a 3 in spice level. The extra spicy is a 7-8.

8 Likes

I was watching the latest episode of What’s Eating Dan about Tofu, when I got an email from Mala Market. I considered it kismet, so I ordered ingredients to make Dan’s MaPo, the noodles that made me open up that darn email and Zindrew Chili Oil. I remember @Srsly giving it a thumbs up, so I was looking forward trying it as soon as it came in today!

We had some frozen Parathas (ordinarily I would use TJ’s scallion pancakes) and so I decided to make Jian Bing for dinner as it was the perfect compliment to the plenty of chili oil…

And it was! The chili oil was super good… One of the best one’s I’ve tried… it was a bit more chili than oil and the flavors blended so well together, especially with that wonderful garlic note. The only thing that doesn’t make my top is that wanted more crunch. So for me, that puts it below Trader Joes and my all time fave… Chile Crunch.

6 Likes

1 more for S&B Crunch Garlic w chili oil. Always always have that… was fun over garlic rice and runny eggs for lunch yesterday… also fun on pelmeni in a veg soup

1 Like

The other day I made a quick lunch of leftover rice, a can of tuna, and Momofuku Chili Crunch. Good flavor, but when I got it as spicy as I wanted it (pretty spicy), there was virtually no crunch. I presume the extra-spicy would have even less.

Fly By Jing review. There are almost no crunchy bits to speak of. If you’re looking for a better more flavorful version of the chili oil you’d find in many Chinese restaurants then this would be good for you. We prefer the Momofuku chili crunch but not mad about having 2 of the Fly By Jing. We will definitely use both.

2 Likes

I liked the Fly By Jing fine as chili oil but wouldn’t buy it again.

Going to order this!

1 Like

Holiday gifts

5 Likes

whats the verdict which one is the best?

1 Like

Lao gan ma>>>>fly by jing >momofuku. Haven’t tried the others yet. Unfortunately, @thechez5 is not in my friend group, would like to try some of the ones she posted above.

1 Like

Lollll all these fancy labels and marketing and the old school Chinese lady is still the winner, that is great!

2 Likes

Lao Gan Ma could use more Sichuan pepper, but it’s my favorite of the ones I’ve tried so far except maybe for Mei Lin’s. I’ll take Momofuku over the not-crunchy Fly by Jing.

1 Like

I use a different chili crisp depending on the dish. For noodles and green onion pancakes I think the Fly By Jing chili oil without crunchy bits is better. For dumplings and fried things like shrimp tempura I like using the spicy Momofuku chili crunch. Other times we stick with good old sambal. Sometimes I mix and match.

4 Likes

all my ads on IG are flybyjing and my god, it feels like their target market is white suburban moms. call me when lao gan ma does a holiday gift pack with an etched marble serving tray and custom drizzle vessel

4 Likes

This costs 96 dollars wowwww lol definitely housewives with too much time and too much money

1 Like

50-50 Lao Gan Ma and Lee Kum Kee XO sauce is the best I’ve tried so far but that’s an expensive indulgence.

1 Like