"Chili Crunch" trademark brouhaha

1 Like

Momofuku acquired “chile crunch” in 2023 from the Denver company Chile Colonial, LLC as part of a legal settlement. Chile Colonial had taken legal action against Momofuku for “trademark infringement, unfair competition”, according to court documents.

I’m curious about the details of that case. Can’t find anything about it outside of that article.

3 Likes

Sounds like what happened was that Chile Colonial sued Momofuku, which settled by buying the trademark and licensing it back. Momofuku’s lawyers presumably then went after other companies using the trademark. By law you have to defend your trademark or you may lose it.

2 Likes

Not surprised as momofuku has a history of disparaging traditional Asian condiment brands to uplift his. Not a fan of him or anything associated with him.

6 Likes

Straight up f this guy, what a loser.

1 Like

This is not cool at all.

2 Likes

Lisa Cheng Smith owner of Taiwanese pantry retailer Yunhai and her article on chile crisp/crunch

Also helpful context article about Chang benefiting/appropriating from Taiwanese pork buns

Eddie Huang calling out DC on the gua bao and talking chili crunch in 2020. I can’t stand to listen to him but for any brave souls…

Would make for an interesting follow up interview with Mr Eddie Huang in light of recent events @euno ?

7 Likes

Trademark chilli crunch?

Say what uhh dude chilli crunch has been around for a long time and is in a lot of Chinese restaurants across the world often made in house. Absolutely ridiculous!

6 Likes

my favorite part is that they filed for the “chili crunch” trademark about a week ago. i have a hard time imagining they’ll secure it. (btw, “chili crunch” TM is not to be confused with the “chile crunch” TM they weirdly acquired settling a lawsuit as defendants)

it is unbelievably upsetting that he and/or his people are going after small businesses that pose absolutely no threat to his empire. each and every thing i’ve seen him do or say since ~2020 makes me more and more upset, but get that bag. you need $$$ to buy huge tins of caviar to put on struggle food as a super funny and quirky thing for social media.

9 Likes

Momofuku probably didn’t trademark “Chili Crunch” previously because they assumed, like most of us, that it was just descriptive. Then they got sued by Chile Colonial for infringing on their trademark, “Chile Crunch,” and settled that by buying the trademark and licensing it back. From the lawyers’ perspective the next logical steps would be to register the “Chili Crunch” trademark and send cease-and-desist letters to anyone infringing on either trademark.

Eddie Huang’s attitude about Dave Chang in that podcast does not back up the haters here. The discussion of chili crisp starts around -1:09:00.

3 Likes

I mean logically, if you got sued, paid hundreds of thousands in legal fees and acquisition fees for the trademark, are you just going to let that be a sunk cost? Like @robert said, you need to now defend that trademark, otherwise why not just change your own branding and save yourself the legal fees and time. There’s definitely some calculus to evaluating the switching cost of relabeling all your products, marketing & digital content, internal documentation to chili crisp vs paying for legal fees. For Momofuku, they were at a large enough scale where acquiring the trademark made more sense. For these small businesses that operate on a much smaller scale, it’d be financially advantageous for the, to switch to chili crisp vs the legal fees (fewer customers, fewer jars made in scale, etc).

The article specifically mentions C&D for anyone infringing on the phrase “chili crunch”, so they’re not going after anyone labeled “chili crisp”

Gao previously made an attempt to trademark her signature Sichuan chili crisp in June 2019. The UTSPO refused the application in August that year, on the grounds that “Sichuan chili crisp” was merely a descriptive term.
She reapplied to register the trademark on April 3.

This is just really ironic. A direct competitor, and a brand that did not receive the C&D from Momofuku foods is having a self righteous holier than thou attitude despite literally trying to do the exact same thing LOL

At the end of the day, I still think it’s scummy, but it’s just capitalistic & litigious America

4 Likes

i think you hit the nail on the head. Write Osayi Endolyn expands on this, essentially, as more and more VC money goes into foods and expands into non “White” American foodways to be “discovered”, don’t be suprised to see this more frequently

1 Like

More to the point in the instant case, you cannot own what someone else owns unless you buy it from them. Which is what Momofuku did with Chile Colonial. Maybe the USPTO should not have granted the trademark, but it’s not like this started with Momofuku. It started with Chile Colonial. (How’s that for an ironic name?)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/susan-hojel-28250bb/

America is capitalistic and litigious, sure, but Americans are way too eager to spew outrage about shit they can’t be bothered to read up on first.

5 Likes

My hot take is that nearly universally in the past I’ve heard it referred to as “chili crisp.” “Chili crunch” should therefore be fair game.

2 Likes

3 Likes

She talks about this

Since the Guardian article came out, I’ve been asked whether Fly By Jing applying for the ‘Sichuan Chili Crisp’ trademark is not the same thing as what Momofuku is doing. Since word of the cease and desist letters have come out, our lawyers have advised reapplying for the specific term “Sichuan Chili Crisp” to protect ourselves against this exact situation that our peers are now facing, as Momofuku or an equally emboldened brand could easily apply for the ‘chili crisp’ term and put our company’s livelihood at risk. But importantly: applying for a trademark does not equate using it to bully other emerging brands. For all the reasons I stated above, that would be extremely short-sighted and scarcity-minded.

to protect herself from momofuku and others that go after chili crisp. but doesn’t address how or if she will enforce it if she gets the trademark… but if she doesn’t plan on gate keeping then in theory she can license it cheaply?

5 Likes

actually having a trademark, yes you have to defend your trademark or risk losing rights to it - and then getting sued by someone else. it’s that simple.

3 Likes

Well I think I’m going to boycott majordomo lol

3 Likes

Haven’t read enough on this to have a firm opinion but thought Eddie Huang (of BaoHaus) had an interesting take on Insta. And historically he’s not a fan fwiw.

2 Likes

At least one trademark application for “Chili Crisp” was rejected on the grounds that it’s just descriptive, so any other application should be rejected on the same grounds.

2 Likes