Chowhound is NOT back

1 Like

Interesting… but reserving judgment because if it’s anything like the last version -meh

I think it’s recycled articles from the old site. And no message boards (which was the only reason I went there).

I don’t find Chowhound there, just a little new authored content.

A friend of mine wrote me this:

Not really. Static Media bought the rights to the name earlier this year. Its content is generated by in-house staff. Some of the recipes look good, though."

I got some of my very best recipes there. And some restaurants recs - not SoCal! - one of which is the best restaurant we’ve ever eaten…in Budapest. jfood gave me endless tips, even walked me through my first effort with tortellini. And on and on. I really regret that we didn’t have any notice that the site was going away. There are SO many things I would have saved.

1 Like

We had plenty of notice. Unfortunately I was too busy with work to make a backup and apparently the people who said they were going to failed.

1 Like

A lot of that content has been saved by the internet archive; navigation is not always smooth (er, or I just suck at it), but the info is there.

Someone on HungryOnion recently posted a link to this marvelous thread:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110115032525/http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/288918

1 Like

Wayback has only a small percentage. Nine times out of ten when I’ve searched there, what I want is missing. Some was probably already lost due to CBS’s incompetent staff / consultants before Red Ventures bought the site and threw it away.

1 Like

I believe it was you who found something for me. Thanks and I’ll have to check. I’m old so don’t have great hope.

1 Like

I’m gonna have to make that risotto.

1 Like

This new (?) renamed (?) site has no connection to Chowhound other than the domain name. It’s the stupidest Chowhound yet.

1 Like

Wow. I’ve only looked at it for a short while but I can see its value.

1 Like

Looking on Wayback, the new chowhound.com went live on October 19. I guess it’s all new content. I don’t recognize any of the editors’ or writers’ names.

1 Like

OMG, thanks for digging that one up. Such a classic!

1 Like