Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JANUARY 2017 -- SOUPS/STEWS

Hello.

The continuing rain (!) in LA seems to seems to have inspired people to seek something warm and comforting.

BEGIN!!!

4 Likes

Ghormeh sabzi takeout from Shaherzad (Westwood)… Perfect when served with some tah dig on a night like this.

Happy 2017 to all of you out there!

10 Likes

Speaking of stews, I’m on the search for the best Saturday Feijoada followed by a caipirinha or two and a nap. Nodding off to The Doors’ “Riders on the Storm.” Sorry I know I’m not doing this thread correctly, but I’m deep into Mai Tais tonight…

4 Likes

You’re doing great, darlin. Cheers… :tropical_drink:

2 Likes

Do we get to include the soups and stews we make during the month?

4 Likes

Yes!

3 Likes

It’s funny, but I know what ghormeh sabzi is, but if you hadn’t told me I would’ve guessed it was an ashtray.

Personal defect, I know.

1 Like
3 Likes

B/f I said, “No,” and then I changed my mind. So, yes.

3 Likes

I like that. We don’t have a lot of people into cooking here, so it’s nice we can post home-cooked dishes on this thread. I think that was one of my first posts, actually. :fried_shrimp:

5 Likes

Now that’s a stew!

Bill Paxton definitely got better looking with age.

2 Likes

I wish - and hope someone else can shine some light here. There used to be a couple of good fejoida options in LA but these are long, long gone. For years By Brazil II in Santa Monica had an ok version. Zumbaba had a chef for a short time before the owner was murdered by her husband in Mexico that turned out an allegedly fantastic version (I never had it but was told by those who know).
A tiny joint on Overland, where kogi and phroage now sit, did great fejoida for a few years.

1 Like

a friend from mexico city who happens to be a pretty good cook - he stayed with me for about 3 weeks and made dinner every night - took me to this place across the street from the pacoima branch of the LA library on van nuys just east of the I-5 exit…

lenchitas is supposed to be authentic. i can’t speak to that but.i was pretty much the only non-mexican here. bring someone who speaks fluent spanish or expect to get marginalized. ordering is no-nonsense - you’re kinda expected to know what you want. i played it smart and let my friend order while i watched the staff in back make tortillas and tamales by hand.

the place was packed but fortunately a table opened up just as we finished ordering. drinks & condiments served promptly

my friend ordered us each a bowl of …MENUDO!

just about every table had at least one bowl. when in pacoima dump in the onion, add copious amounts of oregano and… ask for an extra slice of lemon to raise the acidity…

when the handmade tortillas are brought out still piping hot, sprinkle a little salt, add a drizzle of salsa, roll up and eat in between spoonfuls of menudo. it was interesting how the menudo changed flavor depending on the salsa you put on the tortilla (the salsa tended to leak out the bottom and into the bowl.

i thought it was terrific,

9 Likes

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:10, topic:4879, full:true”]
B/f I said, “No,” and then I changed my mind. So, yes.
[/quote]It seems like people have not been getting too out of control posting their home cooking since you started allowing it on DOTM.

1 Like

BCD Tofu House (Buena Park)
Soon tofu soup with dumplings is a necessary if you need to try to find a cure for your ills. Now off for some preserved lemon tea supplies.

6 Likes

Looks like a great cure for the ills. When you’re up to it post the Preserved Lemon Tea recipe on Nobody Cooks or What’s Cookin… unless it’s a secret recipe. Seems delicious. Feel better!

@TheCookie Thanks! It’s actually in the tea section of the Korean market. They have honey/lemon, honey/ginger, and honey/yuzu in a jar that you just add water to. It’s a tad on the sweet side, but I enjoy it when I don’t feel well.

I hope the other FTCers don’t mind that we sidetracked a bit.

1 Like

[quote=“attran99, post:19, topic:4879”]
I hope the other FTCers don’t mind that we sidetracked a bit.
[/quote]Oh phooey. Who could mind? That’s a great find. Thanks!

1 Like