Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

The duck fat is from Fabriques Delices. The ghee is from Fatworks. I believe the leaf lard and tallow were also from Fatworks, but they are sold out so I am not sure.

2 Likes

I swear I read on Ken Albala’s blog a while back that he cooked lamb tails and contrasted external fat (ie, the tail or fatback) to internal fat like leaf lard but I can’t find the entry any more if it actually existed. If I remember correctly he was asserting that external fat is more saturated and harder/waxier as a result when rendered.

Certainly, when I fractionated rendered chicken fat using Dave Arnold’s technique it separated into very obviously different types of saturated and unsaturated fat which had different effects depending on how you cooked with it that would be even more dramatic if baking.

2 Likes

Epicurus got the cooking fat back in with a vengeance. The holiday merchandise came in as well. They now carry frozen silkie chickens, which I didn’t take a picture of.

4 Likes

I collect regular lard when braising pork shoulder, always have plenty. The hard part about DIY leaf lard is sourcing kidney fat.

I’ve never seen fat sheep tails. To my knowledge they’re not imported to the US.

1 Like

Hard to tell from a distance but that sure looks like a mother-fuck-load of holiday panettone.
About the only way I have ever enjoyed panettone (other then in “rapidly re-gifting” it) is grilled with some butter. And that’s usually just one piece, to assuage the guilt before dumping it.

2 Likes

Dude donate them to me. I’ll see that it goes to good use.

2 Likes

That’s the sheep i grew up with in Uzbekistan. The butt flap is called Kurdyuk and it’s used heavily in their rice pilaf… I can never get mine as sticky as my childhood memory

2 Likes

The only panettone I’ve ever enjoyed is Roy’s. It’s good but not something I’m buying with my own money.

5 Likes

I give it my parents since my mother, for reasons entirely unclear to me, seems to like the stuff.

4 Likes

I’ve re-gifted nearly every pa-meh-ttone I’ve received.

2 Likes

Can anyone (@ebethsdad perhaps) confirm that all those things that look like carefully packaged armadillos are, indeed, panettone?

Also, it would be helpful to know if panettone is both a singular AND pleural noun (like sheep or shrimp).

“One holiday panettone is bad enough but multiple panettones (or panettone or panettonae or …) is truly frightening!”

4 Likes

I had to look this up.

3 Likes

I am not sure. Epicurus stocks a variety of holiday products and I don’t know what everything is in that picture. Next time I go there I will let you know what all they have.

1 Like

I spy Amerena Cherry Panettone in their blue and white packaging.
It’s the one I buy for my parents every year. It’s been known to have been consumed in about 2-3 days.

3 Likes

Roy’s. is the only panettonne that does it for me and it’s worth the price once a year (though prices have crept up a bit the last few years).

1 Like

At my local Brea Whole Foods they chop up a Roy’s panettone and let you buy 1/4 or 1/2 servings which is great for our small family. It let us try a small amount before diving in head first since Roy’s is not cheap. I have not seen the smaller portions yet this year but we’ve bought in this manner the last two Decembers.

5 Likes

Panettone are heavenly when done well. I will argue until the end that if one isn’t into it good they just haven’t lived around Italians enough

Some new to me stuff here.

7 Likes

11 Likes

Maybe it’s time to stroll up that way.

2 Likes