Home Cooking 2022

Except in this case there’s no agreement about what’s traditional. Some people assume there will be green beans and potatoes, others think cooked vegetables have no place in the diah.

In “From Julia Child’s Kitchen” she has a long preamble discussing the various opinions on what constitutes “la veritable recette de la Salade Nicoise.” She concludes with the sage counsel, “…you do pretty much what you want and declare emphatically, like any proper French cook, that yours is the one and only real authentic serious and veritable Salade Nicoise.”
The eggs look fine. I like them jammy, the lovely wife likes them cooked exactly like those in your picture. No nasty green rings around the yolks - I think “hammered” is overstating the case.

5 Likes

I’m heading to Mexico on Wednesday so, of course, I have a nearly full carton of buttermilk in the fridge. I made a dent in it yesterday morning with these buttermilk biscuits.

I added a couple eggs and some jam and called it breakfast

13 Likes

Not quite related, but I saw a quick video w/ Paul Hollywood (on YouTube) yesterday where he visits The Dorchester (where he worked ~2 decades ago!). He asked his dining colleague if she puts clotted cream and then jam or the reverse. He said he puts it on in the reverse. I am DEF a clotted cream then jam. :slight_smile: Your pic reminded me of that.

6 Likes

There is apparently a huge argument in Devonshire about which comes first the clotted cream or the jam.

3 Likes

Indeed!

2 Likes

Another batch of bacon;

So easy and so much better than almost anything you can buy. This is an exception, Smoked Bacon, Smoked Ham, Smoked Pork Loin

6 Likes

How long do you smoke the bacon for/temp?Is it considered a cold smoke with the bacon staying raw?

1 Like

I tried cold smoking and it wasn’t as good. Temp is 225. I have these two nifty devices; https://www.thermoworks.com/billows/, https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/ which work remarkably well with my Weber Smokey Mountain. Temperature never varies more than about 5 degrees. Time varies as to the meat thickness. Today was about four hours. I take it to 150. Fuel is Fogo charcoal and hickory chunks. Curing is seven days with salt, maple sugar, and a bit of curing salt. Flip every two days, and dry overnight in fridge before smoking.
I get the pork belly from Hardy’s Market on Coldwater and Moorpark. Romeo, the butcher, is a great guy. His pork has less fat than what I used to buy at Costco. Plus I buy it on the weekend when he has really good bbq sandwiches from a smoker in the parking lot.

4 Likes

Looks good . Nice .

1 Like

Wow awesome thanks for all that info, looks delicious

1 Like

One of my cooking passions is perfecting basic foods. In that quest a flawless poached egg has been an important goal. Thanks to this video, The Incredible New Way to Poach Eggs that NEVER Fails | Epicurious 101 - YouTube, I have finally come close to it. I might even have reached it. The first three times I tried this method I improvised by trying to pick up the vinegar/water soaked egg in a slotted spoon. Big mistake as the white dissolved through the slots. Then I watched the video again and used a ladle as suggested. Perfect eggs! Paired them with bacon and frisee for a wonderful Salade Lyonaisse.

12 Likes

Remind me to gift you a box of my backyard hen eggs with intense red yolks next time we see each other IRL.

2 Likes

First time cooking ribeyes on the Blackstone. Not bad. The older I get the more I let the meat rest. Patience is a virtue. These were about 15 minutes.

10 Likes

Was this solely on a flattop? Because that is some edge to edge beauty I associate w sous vide or reverse sear.

Yes 100% on the Blackstone. I did preheat for a long time and used a decent amount of canola oil.

2 Likes

My basil plant is in it’s waning days. While it can be pruned to overwinter my box loses it direct light in October. So - pesto!

Will freeze three and give one to my oldest friend.
Interesting observation while making this; I had a small piece of Parmesan from Murray’s (Ralphs) and a new piece I bought from Epicurus. When I tasted the difference I was astonished. I didn’t think there was much difference between genuine Parmesans - I was wrong. The Epicurus piece had much more flavor. Not that the Murray’s piece was bland or that there was anything wrong with it, but the Epicurus stuff was so much better!

7 Likes

First time making tabbouleh and baba ganoush. The most annoying part was removing the parsley from the stems and chopping. Neither recipe was complicated just more time consuming. Delicious and now in the repertoire especially since the tahini I bought was like Costco sized. Lots of veggies and a bunch of leftovers so we have good lunches at the office this week.

8 Likes

Parmigiano Reggiano must be aged a minimum of a year, but you can get it aged longer. The stuff I buy at Costco is aged three years.

I made dan dan noodles for the first time last night. So delicious! Used the superb soy sauce and sesame paste from https://themalamarket.com/.

8 Likes