Home Cooking 2023

I call that “kitchen sink” as in everything in it but the kitchen sink.

Tuscan Bean and Shrimps with cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, shrimp broth, anchovies, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and zest, basil

6 Likes

One of the nice things about risotto, besides that it is nearly always a great dish, is that it is more or less a blank canvas which allows you to combine many different flavors. This risotto had asian influences with ginger, lemongrass, garlic, scallions, coconut milk, chicken broth, cilantro, peanuts and chicken breast.

5 Likes

Do you have any dishes with, say, fewer than five ingredients ?

I don’t count ingredients- the goal is always to make the best tasting dish

3 Likes

Making granola at home. I’ve made it a handful of times. I prefer having big chunks of granola. Does anybody have a good trick? I’ve tried pressing down the granola very hard and letting it cool on the rack.

Does it make a difference using honey or maple syrup for achieving big chunky pieces?

2 Likes

I suspect this is one of those things you are best having a recipe purpose built for. Maybe someone else will chime in with a favorite. I use Travis Lett’s recipe from Gjusta that iirc was published in the LA Times. It’s really excellent

1 Like

yes use honey

1 Like

I was a granola baker for the bread shop in santa cruz early eightys . I remember the girls spreading the mixture on sheet pans . Mix of oats , oil , and honey . I would put them in the revolving bakery oven I believe at 350 for around 10 minutes . Let cool completely on the pan . Then remove.

2 Likes

Look for a granola recipe with “chunky” in the title, or one for granola bars?

Penne with ground pork, sautéed napa cabbage, onion, garlic, tomato paste, marjoram.

4 Likes

Oh, interesting. I never would’ve thought of putting napa cabbage w/ pasta, for some reason…

Tare marinated duck breast with lots of coriander, fennel, S & P, & Japanese curry togarashi. Rice & negi. Wasabi and homemade yuzu kosho made with homegrown yuzu

13 Likes

Plating on point!

1 Like

Looks and sounds phenomenal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Udon noodles with sautéed mushrooms (button, shiitake, portobello, king oyster), leek, onion, great northern beans, parsley and sauce made from vegetable broth, white miso and cream. Topped with panko crumbs pan fried with smoked paprika

2 Likes

This recipe uses egg whites. I have had good results with it.

2 Likes

Do you really have all those mushrooms already at home? :slight_smile:

No but WholeFoods and/or an excellent produce shop are 4-5 minutes drive from home (so more or less at home )

2 Likes

Lentil Stew with Vegetables - depuy lentils cooked with carrots, broccolini, green beans, cherry tomatoes, onion, garlic, bouquet garni in vegetable broth. Finished with red wine vinegar, olive oil and parmesan.

3 Likes