Home Cooking 2024

Happy 2024!

Toasting the New Year w/my Sea Island Red Peas Soaking in the background for Hoppin’ John w/Laurel-Aged Carolina Gold Rice, Greens + Cornbread.

Made a couple jars of chicken stock too…

16 Likes

Penne with Radicchio Pesto - penne with sautéed radicchio, shallots and lemon zest and a pesto made from radicchio, pine nuts, lemon juice, parmesan, garlic and olive oil. Finished with some mozzarella and basil.

4 Likes

Beautiful! Happy New Year!

3 Likes

I picked these up at Bangluck thinking I could just chuck them on some rice or a larb or whatever else to add some texture and flavor. I didn’t realize until I got home that both containers say to cook thoroughly before eating. Does that really need to be done? Do I need to sauté them or how do you suggest I cook them?

Weird.

1 Like

fwiw

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/11ksa2n/cooking_store_bought_fried_shallots/

1 Like

Somehow, I’ve survived, eating them straight out of the container!

3 Likes

Braised Chicken and Potatoes in Curry Sauce - Bone-in chicken thighs and potatoes are braised in a sauce made from slightly crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, curry powder, onions, garlic, ginger, jalapeño and cilantro

3 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

home cooking: no masters no rules

while faroe islands salmon is v nice and fatty, I don’t think it’s a great fish for sushi or sashimi

6 Likes

Why’s that? Not arguing, just curious

the fattiness is too cloying. it was the best fresh on the first day, very lemony, but aged 3 days it was almost a chore to eat raw

Gotcha, thanks! Do you have any recommendations for using Faroe Island salmon belly?

The context is that we get a whole Faroe Island salmon once or twice a year and prefer to separate the belly from the loin. We previously used this Serious Eats recipe for the belly and considered other cures but certainly would appreciate any additional suggestions. As you said, the fat can be a lot and the belly’s got a lot of it.

I would pay more a bit more and buy a whole Ora king salmon which is a bit more versatile :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, but if you’re gonna stick with a Faroe, you could make rillettes with them Eric Ripert style (cut with smoked salmon, Eric Ripert's Fresh and Smoked Salmon Rillettes Recipe) , or maybe something like an ishikari hot pot (Hokkaido Salmon Hot Pot (Ishikari Nabe) 石狩鍋 • Just One Cookbook

4 Likes

I’ll definitely give those recipes a try, thank you so much! And yeah, we’d spring for Ora King but the wholesaler we buy from doesn’t seem to offer it. If they ever do we’ll get on that like white on rice!

1 Like

Baked BISO Chicken Thighs w/Mushroom Sauce to go w/leftover Hoppin’ John & Greens

Then because I still had leftover hoppin’ john it all got turned into soup. There was a generous amount of garlic in the dishes so the soup was garlicky and the broth w/mustard green pot liquor, chicken stock & shroom sauce was yummy & comforting.

Hoppin’ John Chicken Soup

9 Likes

Yummm!

1 Like

Thanks @aaqjr! I removed the chicken skin from the leftover chicken and made cracklins! :yum:

2 Likes

Oh yum!!! I just had to buy a new thing of Miso and so I will certainly try these thighs!!!

1 Like

Hehe I was wondering if I should explain BISO (bone in skin on). But Miso would be good! :blush:

1 Like