Las Vegas recommendations

The nachos at Soul Belly are pretty darn tasty!

Not my recommendation but that does look mighty tasty. I’m going to Vegas this weekend and staying at the Encore which is like halfway between Milo’s and Bagelmania. Very conflicted.
https://twitter.com/eatinglasvegas/status/1658565998491107329?s=46&t=sPtPKRZ9-8qhTv89sHdn_g

1 Like

Soulbelly BBQ

First meal in town!

Burnt ends, pastrami tri tip & brisket - I was more surprised by the pastrami tri tip. It was pretty good. The brisket was mighty tasty, too!

Requisite vegetables and barbacoa taco - not gonna lie…the Caesar salad here is really good and comes with cornbread croutons!

Now I’m not sure if it’s because we came in after 2PM, but the burnt ends, pastrami tri tip, and lean brisket seemed a little dry to me. I had to sauce the tri tip and lean brisket to give it some life. And it was my first time having burnt ends, so I don’t have much to compare it to. That being said, the house pickles helped perk up the proteins, too.

The vegetables were really solid, and the taco was fun (albeit very rich).

Skip the banana pudding…I think the one I make using Magnolia’s recipe is better. But do opt in for a bag of chiccharones to go. They make for great hotel snacks.

Thank, y’all, for the tips! Great way to open a Vegas trip.

3 Likes

Where is this Siegel’s? I’m looking for places west of Allegiant Stadium and am a big fan of flagels!

Thanks! Suzuya will definitely be on my dance card!

1 Like

Siegels is by the convention center at the far end of the strip. There is a huge bagel sign out front. Kinda like the Randy’s Donut in LA.

1 Like

Thanks – have you heard of Abel’s Bagels? It looks good but doesn’t seem to get much attention.

Kabuto omakaze. Delicious. Standouts were the chawanmushi with crab and mushroom, fresh eel appetizer, toro hand roll and bafan uni.

I feel like this is a good value at $175 based on LA pricing. They didn’t have any seats at the sushi counter so we had to take a table.

4 Likes

Peter Luger’s is open and it’s packed. Better than my last trip to Brooklyn. A couple of service hiccups like taking a long time to bring sauce, doubled up accidentally on appetizers and a little wait for new plates. All easily fixable.

The rib eye and porterhouse were both perfectly cooked, well seasoned and had a nice little crust. Desserts with extra schlag are a nice finishing touch.

8 Likes

right next to Joel Roubichon is l’Atelier - I swanny… it’s the same kitchen but much more normal pricing.

also - exceptional good food - not outrageous prices . . . Top of the World (Strat)
Bouchon - a do not miss for breakfast/lunch - Venetian
Sadelles - Belligio - a do not miss breakfast - make reservations!

avoid
Craftsteak
Heritage (Mirage)
public house(?) Robert Irvine - Tropicana
Guy Savoy - good, but very disappointing for the hype

L’Atelier has their own kitchen right in front of the counter seatings.

yes - but they don’t cook everything in the counter area / within sight of guests.
DW had a steak - it came out of the back mysterious area
I had Dover sole - it came out of the back mysterious area
none of the sides to the mains were prepare “in sight”

the jamon Iberico was carved ‘in sight’ and the tomato compote was sliced and diced ‘in sight’

it makes zero economic sense to have two fully equipped kitchens and two complete kitchen staffs for two same-operator eateries separated by a block wall.

1 Like

Then I stand corrected. But I do know they fire most of their protein in this kitchen with that griddle in the middle section and stoves left of that salamander.

I wouldn’t doubt their mashed potato, bread, and especially desserts coming from JR though given their huge space dedicated to pastry.

They used to cook the Dover sole and the steak right on the line in sight but they could have changed as I haven’t been here in years. I remember vividly them cooking the Dover sole on the flat top in a good amount of French butter. The wagyu ribeye used to be cooked on the flattop as well as I used watch them render out as much of the fat cap as possible. Again, my last visit was at least 5 years ago so things could have changed since then.

After a couple of very spotty meals, I haven’t been back. An over salted potato cake for a salmon dish, a change in the wagyu foie gras sliders and an inedible soufflé that tasted like scrambled eggs was my nail in the coffin for me.

3 Likes

Happy to report that my dinner there back in July had flawless execution…as did my friends that went two months.

2 Likes

definite changes then. the sole came out in a sizzling pan…

my observation was ala minute was done at the open kitchen stations - I recall hearing a shrimp dish being cooked at the flat top . . . but other stuff in the mysterious back.

and… the pastry chef was ‘at it’ when we sat down, executed the finish steps on a number of dishes, then left the station (front left in the pix above) and did not reappear for the rest of our time there - so…that’s a long smoke break… or another station . . .

also, I think they do some prep work/cooking for both sides.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that quantity of mushrooms isn’t for one order . . .

1 Like

Just asked L’Atelier staff this question and they said even large format dishes are cooked on the L’Atelier side.

3 Likes

If you’re into neapolitan style pizza, give Solamente Pizza a try. I loved it so much that I went twice this past trip.

They do canotto style with a high hydration dough that ferments between 50 to 70 hours. Their crust is amazing…incredibly moist, light, airy, has a slight crisp on cornicione. This pizzeria came highly recommended from William Joo of Pizzeria Sei.

Also give their 4 dips (San Marzano tomato sauce, garlic-infused olive oil, whipped ricotta, and pesto) a try.

7 Likes

Going to Vegas on Saturday for U2. I have overlapping reservations at Cut and Delmonico. Which is better? I know there are other great steakhouses in Vegas (many of which I have been to), but I am purposefully dining in the Venetian to make it easy to get to the Sphere after dinner.

1 Like

I really enjoyed pizza rock Las Vegas. It seems gimmicky but the pizza is high quality and it’s on par with prime pizza in LA

6 Likes