Majordomo's prices: threat or menace?

how much was the meal? when I went the prices were really expensive

Prices are online. Except for some of the bings and desserts, prices are high-end.

https://www.majordomo.la/menu

1 Like

I never thought about it, but the Majordomo prices do seem too high.

I’ll compare to Kali: Kali Restaurant - Food Menu

For example, I would say Kali’s lower-priced summer truffle risotto and black garlic barley risotto are much better than Majordomo’s higher-priced truffle macaroni and tapioca lo mein (roughly equivalent menu items). Not even remotely close IMO.

1 Like

they both seem too high!

Unlike most high-end places with similar kitchens, ingredients, and staff-to-customers ratios, the menu is a la carte, and dishes are portioned to share, so it’s hard to compare, but in my experience the per-person cost is lower than at the tasting-menu places.

2 Likes

agreed, it’s incredibly difficult to compare tasting menu spots to ala carte, especially since majordomo portions are gigantic.

But Majordomo is pricey. i don’t think I’ve gotten out of there sub $150pp before (excluding alcohol)

2 Likes

I’ve paid way less than $150 / person excluding wine. If I were going with a party of four and ordering off the menu that’s online now, I’d get:

ham bing 32
tomatoes 21
potatoes 19
shrimp 36
duck rice 51
pork 53
bo ssam 110
waffle 20

That would be $85.50 per person. Could add a couple more dishes and still not come close to $150.

2 Likes

good point - when we go as a group of 4-5 people it ends up reasonable per person

1 Like

If I were there with two people I’d still order less than $100 per person.

ham bing 32
tomatoes 21
potatoes 19
duck rice 51
pork 53
waffle 20
1 Like

Does anyone actually walk out of here paying less than $100pp tho? After 2 drinks. tax, and tips this budget is blown.

4 Likes

I couldn’t believe the prices the one time I went recently, mentioned it above. other than the fries, it was not worth it compared to other restaurants at similar prices I went to.

Wagyu was not worth it whatsoever… for those prices I’m expecting to be wow’d and it was just good. As people mentioned ^ I’ll go to Kali or a tasting menu over this.

crab salad ($22, great but small portion)
mushroom crispy rice ($48, very good, but not worth the price)
wagyu (83 think it was less when I went… bad. Felt very plain and bland for the price point, nothing unique or memorable. fries were great)
pavlova (19, good, but again not worth $20)

that’s nearly $200. Would much rather get a $150 tasting menu elsewhere

tax and 20% tip that’s $111. And that’s way less than we order with 4 o_O

3 Likes

And you eat it all? Yikes. I went with a party of 3 in 2019 and spent $387.42 total including at least two bottles of wine, tax, and tip.

2018 three of us spent $460 all in.

As a big fan of Majordomo I wouldn’t have ordered any of those except the pavlova, and if I spent $200 on food there the way I order it would be way too much food for one. I’ve spent not much over $100 (on food) by myself there and had lots of leftovers.

I was responding to Clayfu’s “i don’t think I’ve gotten out of there sub $150pp before (excluding alcohol)”

1 Like

Seemed like a lot of food to us. Bing, oxtail, tapioca, pork belly, and onion rings were filling, steak was big, like I said we didn’t have room for dessert.

why do you keep forgetting about tax and tip o_O. That’s almost $130pp right there.

2 Likes

That’s still significantly less than the $150 you’ve never spent less than. I also posted total costs of actual meals.

Except for a few dishes, the place is expensive, but the only time I might have spent $150 per person on food was when two of us ordered enough food for four and took half as leftovers.

sorry I’m late

2 Likes

duck rice and pork - thats a quite a bit of food for 2 people.

Yeah, there’s a good chance we’d not order either the pork or the waffle. I was just erring on the side of excess. I’d probably always order the kakigori if it were on the menu since it seems so light, at least until you’re halfway through eating it.

$256.89 is still 14% short of $150 per person. And even $150 is still cheaper than most if not all of the high-end tasting-menu places.

also 28% more than 100pp.

if you tell someone a restaurant is $150pp and it comes in at $128 everything is cool. If you tell someone a restaurant is “less than $100pp” and it comes in at $128 then that is less cool.

3 Likes