March 2022 Rundown

:joy: you know it

Were the orecchiette crunchy?

Naw they were hazelnuts if I remember correct, my bad I thought you were joking. I didn’t look too hard at the dessert menu.

Is that a thing? Candied/roasted orecchiette?

No, they just looked too concave for nuts.

That was tripping me up too lol it’s why I didn’t leave a description. They kinda don’t look like hazelnuts

Thanks to @Clayfu’s post about Hummus Labs in Pasadena:

We had delivery from there last night.

Fattoush Salad ($7.95) upgraded to Greek (feta and Kalamata olives +$1.95)

Falafel platter with sides of classic hummus and grilled vegetables ($13.95)

Falafel platter with sides of classic hummus and baba ghanoush ($13.95)

Party Pack with classic hummus, baba ghanoush, tzatziki, and feta dip ($12.95) (came with a large tub of pita chips though thought I had ordered pita bread)

Shawarma Nachos with cauliflower ($13.95) (holy crap are these good! I’m now wondering if they would do a pita wrap with the shawarma cauliflower)

15 Likes

Craving a tuna sub. For weeks. (Crazy, huh?).

Happened to be near Burbank so I remembered Giamela’s is there.

$10.50 for this giant beast, loaded with diced pickles, tomatoes and onion.

19 Likes

Nice! Can you describe your banh cuon setup?

1 Like

Yes, first @PorkyBelly preps all his rice batter and fillings, reaches for his smartphone and records me doing it. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

All joking aside I have a special banh cuon pot that you can stretch fabric over to steam the banh cuon. You could also use the stainless steel steam trays as another way of doing as well.

9 Likes

Had a pretty good meal at Anajak the other day. The pork coppa / kratong tong / farmer market bok choy were the winners this time.

Shin Sushi - keeping it reasonably affordable at $150pp

19 Likes

Hit The Puerto Rican Spot Truck which calls themselves the first LA Chicago’s Jibarito, Chicago style Puerto Rican food.

The jibarito sandwich was something I’ve never tried before. In place of the bread, they used flattened fried plantains. I got the steak which had a good marinade and tender.

Was in Vegas last week for March Madness and managed to sneak in a dinner at Raku. As usual I overindulged with rich dishes. I not only got two orders of the tendon, which I love there but a couple other smaller items not pictured. The salmon collar was one of the daily specials and I’m glad I got it. Loved how well prepared it was and it was one of the best collars I’ve had with the luscious fattiness of the meat, not a single spot that was over or under cooked.

Half order of the agedashi tofu

Beef liver sashimi

Salmon collar

Grilled beef liver

Beef tendon

Foie with fermented black garlic

Pork Cheek

Foie and egg custard

Also tried the new Soulbelly bbq from a Top Chef alum. Got the fatty brisket, pork belly, and the pork and cheddar sausage. Tried a piece of my friend’s rib tips and smoked portobello mushroom

Liked the brisket and sausage a lot, the pork belly was good but not necessarily something I’d go out of my way to get. The rib tips glaze was a little too sticky sweet for my tastes. I would have liked the option of getting it without sauce. The mushroom was pretty good.

The rest of my Vegas meals are probably better off in the stoned and drunk thread :rofl: :wink:

17 Likes

Vientiane in Garden Grove = :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Sadly they ran out of Lao sausage, but oh well.

Lao beef jerky:

Laab minced beef salad (minced beef, tripe, fish sauce, lime, rice powder, cilantro, green onions):

Nam khao tod (crispy fried rice with sour fermented pork, peanuts, green onions, cilantro, mint):

Kua mee (Lao style pan fried rice noodle with chicken, pork, & shrimp):

Sticky rice:

17 Likes

Damn, I’m so envious of you that the tendon was available. Nice meal, looks like a great time!

1 Like

Definitely miss weho raku. Damn you Covid!

4 Likes

There was no hesitation to get two orders. I contemplated a third order :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Covid schmovid. The place had gone downhill well before.

negative ghost rider, Raku was awesome until the end.

4 Likes

Agreed although all menu items weren’t always available or some items were phased out, that place was banging till the end.

4 Likes

The intestine and tendon were by far my favorite items, like reason to go there favorite, get two orders favorite. It was like if Langer’s took the pastrami off the menu.

1 Like

more like if langers removed the liver and onions plate. which according to their online menu, they actually did.

2 Likes