Munggo search

Not fortuitous timing but does anyone have a preference where to buy Filipino munggo (also spelled monggo) in the LA area? It’s part of (actually, the start of) my current obsession with beans and greens and meat all in one bowl but I’ve never actually had a proper serving of it.

I just made a recipe cobbled together from “I Am a Filipino: and This Is How We Cook” and “Adobo Road” but neither seems to hew too close to the traditional version. I have some family that makes it close by but they’ve been making it for so long I think I’d be learning their version of it, not necessarily a representative version of it. This has happened with other dishes before and it’s delicious but hard to think of as typical of the dish at origin.

Any Asian market carries the beans – 99 Ranch, Seafood City, Island Pacific, Bangluck, etc.

Also, Filipino “turo-turo” (point-point) restaurants usually serve it or part of their rotation of dishes. I would call around and ask if they have it.

Thanks, I made it with mung beans I got at Ranch 99 (that much at least is specified in “I Am a Filipino” and “Adobo Road”!). Also, I should have specified that I know what kind of places where they’re served, I was wondering if anyone had any personal recommendations about places to get it because I didn’t grow up with the dish and don’t know what a solid example of it may be.

If you want an all around solid recommendation for authentic Filipino food (where Filipinos eat) in Los Angeles, go eat at Max’s of Manila in Glendale.

Max’s has been on my list for so long, I’m kind of embarrassed I’ve never been.

I was glad there was an article recently (LA Times, I think) about turo turo spots so there are a few on my list that I’ll probably check out when it’s a little more prudent to do so.

1 Like

Petite Peso by Ria Barbosa looks like they offer munggo on their menu. I haven’t tried it though. It’s the old Ricebar location.

I walked down there the day after curfew ended to pick up a menu!

Their munggo also looks untraditional (it’s vegan) but I think we’re going to pick some up this weekend. If it’s good, we’ll probably do one of their family meals and pastry bundles for someone’s birthday the weekend after.

2 Likes