What's cookin'?

That looks fantastic! By the way, if you should get tired of the smoked meat by itself it’s a fantastic ready-made element for beans as well:

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m going to make something similar today for lunch. Have a bunch of beans and tri tip left over.

Stew going gif

2 Likes

Being a Southerner, collards are one of my main comfort foods. When I was still a toddler, Mother had put the collards on the kitchen table and turned to serve up more foods. When she turned back I had climbed up the chair onto the table and was stuffing collards into my mouth. Of course I don’t remember that but I love the story :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I love mixing up things like that. Fave is pork with some black-eyed peas, rice and collards with some pepper sauce.

1 Like

I think every culture that eats meat and has beans puts them together in some form or another. I love that such a frugal use of ingredients can produce such filling and copious amounts of food.

I was fascinated to find out about ghormeh sabzi from this FTC thread and made some last night from a NY Times recipe. Fascinating version of the meat and beans archetype with the rarer incorporation of cooked greens (herbs) into the dish itself.

2 Likes

Here’s feijoada in Rio de Janeiro.

2 Likes

I can understand why. Easy to make but delicious. My kids (7 and 9) absolutely love collards. They asked for seconds. I’m going to make another batch this weekend and might need 3 big bunches.

1 Like

This was supposed to be endive gratin with ham, bechamel, and Gruyere, but Instacart substituted two five-ounce plastic packages for my requested pound of endive, so I filled it out with asparagus from the CSA box. Good thing, since the endive was inedible.

My spell-checker suggests I change “bechamel” to “chameleon.”

4 Likes

Beans & Greens + a Poached Egg

Ruby Red Grapefruit + Greek Yogurt + Balsamico di Modena

Pollo en Escabeche - a recipe I picked up from watching Rick Bayless’ FB Live feed

9 Likes

Are we allowed to say “holy shit” here? What an incredible and elegant meal. Could you please tell me/us how you did that egg so perfectly? And could you please give me your home address so that I can move next door!

3 Likes

Thank you :blush:

I love poached eggs and have gotten good at them. I use a 1 qt. saucepan filled about 3/4s of the way and bring the water to a low boil, add 2 capfuls of regular distilled white vinegar and reduce the heat. Crack an egg into a custard cup. I flip a wooden spoon upside down and use the handle to stir. With the custard cup in one hand and the handle in the other, I make small counter clockwise circles in the middle of the pot to create a fast moving whirlpool with a vortex as developed and tight as I can get it. As soon as I remove the handle of the spoon I pour the egg into the center of the vortex. Since the water is still moving, it tends to wrap the white around the yolk. For my pot and my stove, I’ve found that 3 minutes 45 seconds to 4 minutes, gives me set whites and a runny yolk.

The fresher the egg, the better the whites are going to set. Eggshells are pourous, so over time the white tends to thin out some. The whites in a fresh egg are usually pretty tight. This egg surprised me, I didn’t really know how old it was and wasn’t expecting it to turn out this well. I got a pretty deep vortex in the whirlpool of water and the water was still moving fairly rapidly when I dropped the egg in, the whites just kind of curled around into the perfect form.

Old saying…eating well is the best revenge. I am usually just cooking for 1 so if I don’t, there’s no one else that will. And if I don’t cook, then all 3 meals could end up being cocktails and wine, salsa and chips or cheese and crackers. Or cookies. So to avoid being the size of a barn door, I cook for myself and I cook well :grin: :yum:

5 Likes

Bless your heart…and I don’t mean that in the mean old Southern way. Gonna try again. Remember Gio from CH? Her husband George was the egg poaching pro in their household. xoc

3 Likes

I see that “Random Food Photos” went quiet some time ago so I’ll post this here. Not cooking. Bu an open faced sandwich of toast or not with peanut butter, honey and arugula. We’ve always liked arugula but lately we’re never without it. Had to buy peanut butter but still had some of the Greek honey I ordered after we got hooked on it over there.

2 Likes

I do remember Gio from the old CH days. I always loved her stories about what she cooked.

She and her husband have been in an assisted living place or a couple of years now. She has crippling rheumatoid arthritis and they’re both in their 80s now. They have a tiny kitchen in their apt but I get the impression that they don’t cook at all any more.

2 Likes

That’s for updating me. That is, unfortunately, so sad to hear. My BIL has RA, I know it can be very difficult.

1 Like

I bought and soaked some salt cod, but couldn’t remember what I had in mind to do with it, and didn’t have the ingredients for brandade, so just improvised this stew. Seasonal: green garlic, leeks, chard, spring onion top broth. Seasonless: olive oil, salt cod, chickpeas, tomato paste, chile flakes.

It was maybe the worst batch of salt cod I’ve ever bought, since with SARS-CoV-2 going around I didn’t feel comfortable doing my usual routine of picking through all the packages to find the best.

Got some of this out of curiosity:

2 Likes

Ragú from Marcella Hazan’s original recipe, which I used to make all the time. I know it’s been years as the process seemed totally unfamiliar. I’ve been using Bottura’s grandma recipe.

1 Like

Looks hugely like the Bolognese recipe. Didn’t check. I haven’t made THAT in a long time but used to make a 4x or 5x recipe since it took so long and then froze in portions.

1 Like