October 2023 Rundown

Perilla. This simple dish of beef, onions, and sauce over rice was so damn good. TBH the banchan wasn’t my thing.

Holey Grail Donuts. Larchmont. Skip Levain. Fried to order in coconut oil. Any fried to order donut is a dime.

15 Likes

Some bang bang today. Quarter sheets and needle.

Qs- They have tavern pies but not to go which made me sad. Favorite of the day was Sicilian.

Needle- char sui was good but some of the pieces were too charred. The unpictured bamboo and eggplant was :fire:

14 Likes

if you don’t mind eating on the sidewalk standing up, you can order the bar pie as a “dine-in” order and eat it outside.

I think they don’t do it to go because they don’t have any square boxes that can fit it.

1 Like

Yeah they said the cook time was 25 min and I had to get home. Oh well next time!

1 Like

Thanks to #noigporky @PorkyBelly for this delicious majordomo pandan pie.

It came incomplete so I had to brûlée then top with my own kinako whipped cream and kuromitsu syrup.

16 Likes

Reminder why eating in Asia is superior.

24 Likes

a weekend of noms:

Thursday PM: Twelvemonth (Burlingame)

Vegan restaurant that rules hard. Squashio E Pepe (radiatori pasta, honeynut squash, black pepper miso, parmesan)

Friday PM: Sushi Kaneyoshi

Y’all know the drill with this place. Also got a snap of one of the sous’ knives, a well loved Nenox gifted from Saori of Korin (knife nerds know what’s up).

Saturday AM: Needle

wings

fatty char siu

beef and onion rice with an egg on top

char siu fried rice

red bean mochi french toast

Needle rules.

Saturday afternoon: Jeni’s

New Genmaicha and marshmallow; salty caramel

Saturday PM: Kato

Best drink from the non-alcoholic pairing!

The duck was pretty good - sausage better than the breast though.

Sunday AM: Smoke Queen BBQ at Smorgasburg

best brisket I’ve ever had tbh.

Sunday afternoon: Dayglow

Most creative coffee concoctions in LA, change my mind.

Sunday PM: Here’s Looking at You

Monkfish tails with a fig sweet and sour sauce

Pork Steak

Onion Dip

Dry-aged burger. Top burger in California for me for sure.

Monday AM: Bub and Grandma’s

Greens breakfast sandwich.

25 Likes

wait you didn’t gjo to gjelina?

1 Like

I didn’t, I had to choose between Smorgasburg and Gjelina and I chose smorg’ :cry: ; we did take the fuckin 33 bus all the way from downtown to Venice to go visit the Tortoise general store, lmao, that was an experience 60 stops later

8 Likes

For anyone’s future reference, talking the E-line from downtown to Culver City and then hopping on the 33 would likely be faster and less sketchy. There’s also some decent eats around that station.

6 Likes

Almond Croissant at Ariscault Bakery, San Francisco-Richmond District. Damn good.

Also got the ham and cheese. Good croissant but you gotta be kidding me with the amount of ham and cheese. I get more ham and cheese at any Cambodian donut shop lol

Line was around 30 deep before the doors opened.

Breakfast jook at Good Luck.

10/10 concert! Too bad I didn’t get Sundays show with Catherine O’Hara.

12 Likes

Special margherita. I think the special is the cheese used but whatever it is, this is the platonic ideal of a margherita pizza. Simple but all ingredients sing and work in harmony. Cornicione was perfect.Sergio was in the house but not cooking pizza glad he’s been able to pass his skills onto his employees.

I was really bummed because they were out of Mala spicy lamb pizza after being @chrishei fluenced. But one bite of this perked me right up.

Day bird this chicken sandwich is really damn good and so are the tenders, was also hoping to have a fish sando but alas. Only thing that is odd is that they don’t include sauce and they kinda don’t tell you that. Order online because the line was super crazy on a Saturday.

13 Likes

You can make a case that Daybird is better than Howlin Rays. That’s how good that chicken sandwich is.

5 Likes

I’d argue the fish sandwich is even better than the fried chicken sandwich, but both are fantastic

3 Likes

Oh yeah that fish sandwich is pretty spectacular!

Did you try it with the caviar lol?

2 Likes

Zooies I miss living in the city sometimes

4 Likes

Once! I thought it was too expensive, and the fish sandwich on its own is just superb. Her frying technique is absolutely extraordinary.

And the fries are magnificent as well! A friend I went with said their favorite part of Day Bird are the fries and it’s the best they’v ever had.

So angry at myself for not having come to Sababa Falafel Shop earlier. Been on my radar for years since @JeetKuneBao posted about this place. They are taking over the shop next door so there is some renovation. There are 4 tables outside and a few stools. Order at the counter and pick your toppings.

The chicken bowl reminded me of a much better Halal Guys with better toppings. Sumac onions. Tomato onion salad. Pickled veggies. Two types of hot sauce. Garlic sauce. Hummus. The best falafel I’ve had maybe ever. Couldn’t remember a better version. Everybody loved their food.

11 Likes

I might be very late to the game of Mini Kabob Fries but it is a real meal on it own!

An order of fries come with a tub of hummus and Armenian lavash bread

This special batch is slightly different. Armen fried them through about 75% doneness and finished it off on the pan, open fire with a generous amount of butter :butter: It was so good!

Because it’s not on the menu, ask Armen for availability. He’s very responsive on the phone and Instagram messages. Hah, I’m so glad I tried. Happy fries!

13 Likes

I wish Radna at Smorgasburg would taste the same as in Thai Town. *I like their pad Thai but the one at Smorgasburg doesn’t taste as good as the OG location.

I’m curious if there is anything really good (I mean very tasty) at Smorgasburg? I don’t expect much since it’s a high volume thing, it’s hard to control the quality of food.

3 Likes