Pizzeria Sei FTC Buyout - 2/27/24

Inviting @CiaoBob

3 Likes

Maybe, +0 or +1
TIA, @Foodiefromla!

1 Like

I’m down, too! Serious (+1) so long as the date works out.

1 Like

Why in the world is Chang getting and taking credit for this?!? I’m more annoyed than I should be about it.

6 Likes

It’s probably a combo of different Momofuku restaurants doing the high/low combo of fried chicken and caviar for years (inspired by Wylie Dufresne) and his professed love for those types of pairings. Plus his netflix series just featured caviar on pizza right before the buyout. I don’t necessarily think Dave Chang’s trying to take credit for this by reposting, I think it’s great that he would use his platform to highlight Pizzeria Sei. It’s the unfortunate reality that random people are going to see that show and assume that because of coincidental timing the caviar on pizza is coming from the show. But really there’s no completely original idea in food, or many other creative fields, people getting credit for those kinds of ideas is something that I hope most creators don’t take too seriously as we should all recognize how much we are influenced, inspired, and borrowing from everything around us.

11 Likes

He did it on TV two weeks ago, first with a Pizza Hut pie, then with a Bianco.

1 Like

I wonder who that pizza belongs to :thinking:

5 Likes

where’s detective porky when you need him? :face_with_monocle:

6 Likes

Looks like Bao M. Nguyen was the original poster.

He appears to be commenting on others’ pizza. Could it be one of our own? :grimacing:

2 Likes

I messaged him. He said “the person who brought the caviar said he was inspired by David Chang”

I said “the person that brought the caviar bought the caviar from me and he definitely was not inspired by David Chang”

:rofl:

15 Likes

Way to call him out @Clayfu!

As a food media personality he is becoming more and more unlikable

1 Like

he messaged the pizzarazzi dude who took the pic and originally posted, not chang.

1 Like

Ah thanks for clarification!

1 Like

I’m in for sushi (serious)

Nicely said!

TANGENT W ARNING:
For those who like music history this point get made repeatedly, and rather brilliantly, by the incomparable Andrew Hickey in his podcast A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs. Mesmerizing , “his project is so vast that it can only be compared to, say, the construction of the Oxford English Dictionary”, from thenewyorker.com

3 Likes

Strictly speaking that quote is not from The New Yoirker but from a post on newyorker.com. McKibben grossly underestimates the amount of work that went into creating the OED: the first edition took 70 years and the work of hundreds of people plus thousands of contributors.

good point - corrected

OTOH, not with you on your second point - I think you are being a bit too literal (haha) - it doesn’t say that the podcast IS the fucking OED, just that it can be compared to it…

It’s absurdly hyperbolic to compare anything one person can accomplish in one lifetime to the OED.

It is absurdly hyperbolic to say something is absurdly hyperbolic.

2 Likes